CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

99 Deville radio stays on!

bschelle

It was CORROSION!!! I pulled the cover off of the Engine Compartment Relay Center on the drivers side and then I pulled all of the relays in the Underhood Relay Center. This is the group of 5 relays located just below the Inadvertant Power Relay. I had to really work hard to get a couple of them out. They were very corroded. These were the same relays I had to rewire and replace when I was having trouble with my headlights not working. So they corroded up within a couple of years. This time I lubed them with dielectric grease and maybe that will end the corrosion problem. According to the FSM the wipers, PZM, headlights and other accessories get their power through this relay center. The corrosion was probably creating a mini circuit suppling power and a false signal causing my problem. All is well tonight and a couple of days will tell me if it is in fact fixed! Thanks for ALL of the help.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow that is great, glad you figured it out. This was a good thread to show what corrosion can cause.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

We'll see....sounds like the problem may be solved.

Automotive electronics..vibration..overload...salt..cold..hot..= failure.

Very differnet than home electronics.

They just sit there in a climate controled enviroment. Never fail.

My Kenwood Pre Amp just failed. Only when I did the the math..*smurf*...I bought that system back in 1984. 25 years ago!... 1/4 of a century!..Hmmm...what to do. I could fix the amp...with a $17 dollar diagram off the internet...scrap the unit and buy a new amp.

I did a little of both.

1) Bought a open box $300 amp from Circuit City for $129. I think Circuit City had it mixed up with the $199 version. They look exactly the same...I stole that amp. I really think someone confused it with the $199 version..

2) Bought a exact replacement 'working' version Kenwood pre amp on eBay for $30. Funny...found it under 'vintage electroics' ....HaHa..

I guess I'll scrap the original..frustrating being I know it could be fixed..but it is 25 years old..like fixing a 25 yr old black and white tv..no..you dont do that..

Now that I look..my Sony CD player has a Oct '90 build date..

Maybe it can be my daughters first stereo....she already has a pink iPod..

Times change....

• 8 years later...

:welcomesmiley:

On 3/6/2008 at 9:02 PM, bschelle said:

I pulled all of the relays in the Underhood Relay Center. This is the group of 5 relays located just below the Inadvertant Power Relay. I had to really work hard to get a couple of them out. They were very corroded.

Do this, as the original poster did and if you have the same problem you will know right away. Ignore the red highlighted fuse, look at the locations marked on the right side of the page for the relay locations. pull em all. 

2009-11-26_000207_1997_cad_deville_fuse_box.JPG

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Sometimes these radios go funny, and Need a complete reboot.  Try disconnecting the - (ground) terminal at the battery, followed by the +, cleaning both terminals, then connecting the + back to the battery, followed by the -.

Archived