CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

HID Headlights - 2001 STS

rrdrerup115

I had a headlight ballast go out on my 2001 STS. Cadillac wants $400 for a new one. Had it been the bulb, it would have been $440. Has anyone had any luck with after market kits ($130 for wiring, bulbs and ballasts). Also, does anyone know who the idiot is that designed such an unaffordable system??? Someone needs their head looked at.

I have read similar horror stories about OEM HID parts prices other places. Maybe there is a clue to who built the ballast somewhere on the case, or inside? It might be possible to purchase the ballast from the folks who built the thing.

As to aftermarket HID 'kits' -- the horror stories are even more numerous and frequent. Caveat emptor on eBay!

Finding the OEM part in a salvage yard is a possibilty but the search could take a while.

The only constructive thing I can offer is -- it might be easier and less expensive to modify your chassis wiring/connectors/sockets to use common old #9006 bulbs.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I would check out Ebay for "HID Ballests". You can pick up one there easier the the junk yards. Just be sure that the power input and output connections are the same as yours. They are usually standard but best to check.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of HID either. They look cool, but they are expensive to fix. Someone stripped the adjuster on my left headlight so it points towards the ground and the only way to get it fixed is to buy a whole new headlight ($500 from my caddy dealer). I just live with it, but you can't live without a ballast. I've checked ebay and they are sometimes on there, but still really expensive.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

How can there be a down adjustment but not up? The screw only turns one way? That's odd.

I did think the housings were the same, HID vs. halogen, in the case of the Sevilles. My '01 (without HID) has full vertical and horizontal adjustment.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

How can there be a down adjustment but not up? The screw only turns one way? That's odd.

I was thinking the same thing..... If it turns one way for DOWN it should turn the other way for UP. :D

Posted Image

Hey Russ, post that link to the aftermarket ballasts, maybe someone here has tried them. ( I lost the link)

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Different housings for halogen & HID.

When you turn the adjuster to make the beam go up it just acts like it is stripped.

Yes! That's exactly what mine does. So how do I get the headlight to go up?

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Different housings for halogen & HID.

When you turn the adjuster to make the beam go up it just acts like it is stripped.

So how do you adjust them to go up if you turn it the other way and it just acts like it's stripped?

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Archived