CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

NEED HELP! CAN'T OPEN FUEL RELEASE

apache13

1997 Eldorado ETC

I know this sounds really wierd but I can't open fuel release! I verified the "VALET" in the glove box wasn't turned on (when on it disables fuel and trunk release) when I pushed the fuel release button and I went to the trunk to pull the emergency fuel release cable...nothing. The release cable in the trunk can't be pulled- I pull and it doesn't even move. When I press the fuel release button on the dash I hear it click. I'm down to 1/4 tank of gas....how the heck do I get that thing opened? I'm open to any suggestion.

PS- I even sadley hit the fuel door twice after everything....I hope my car can find it in her heart to forgive me

-Tony

1997 Eldorado ETC

I know this sounds really wierd but I can't open fuel release! I verified the "VALET" in the glove box wasn't turned on (when on it disables fuel and trunk release) when I pushed the fuel release button and I went to the trunk to pull the emergency fuel release cable...nothing. The release cable in the trunk can't be pulled- I pull and it doesn't even move. When I press the fuel release button on the dash I hear it click. I'm down to 1/4 tank of gas....how the heck do I get that thing opened? I'm open to any suggestion.

PS- I even sadley hit the fuel door twice after everything....I hope my car can find it in her heart to forgive me

-Tony

Sounds like the fuel door itself is stuck.

Get someone to push the button whilst you hold some sort of wig between the fuel door, that could help.

If you are in complete control..... you are not going fast enough....

1997 Eldorado ETC

-Tony

Sounds like the fuel door itself is stuck.

Get someone to push the button whilst you hold some sort of wig between the fuel door, that could help.

PERFECT! Had my buddy push the button in the car while I put pressure on the fuel door. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I can't believe the emergency fuel release cable didn't work.

Never had it happen, but that possibility is always in my nightmares! :o

I try to keep that mechanism fairly clean and lubricated.

I notice that you live in Denver; IMO the sand and road salt used during the winter time in these ares really raises hell with vehicles and is the cause of many problems like this one - this crap gets in everywhere and contaminates and corrodes everything.

I'm from Massachusetts and I had more trouble with my cars and trucks in the winter time because of it.

Pretty common. I have had that happen a time or two. As soon as I notice it getting sticky, I oil the hinges. That will take care of the problem. I do it every spring.

I noticed my electric fuel door button has an intermittent problem opening the door, and of all funny things while working on my car yesterday I decided to check and see if the cable system works just in case. I just find it funny to see this post after thinking of this same problem last evening.

I wish I had some input at this time other than what is being said already, but this is my first Caddy so I'm just learning some of the nuonces of them.

Charlie

In the fall, I spray all moving parts, engine, lines, cables, with WD40. it repells water (I use up one or 2 16oz cans). I don't exactly remember spraying the mechanism in the fuel door, but I will make a mental note to spray it down this spring. My fuel filler line under the filler door isn't even rusted, so this trick must work - especially living in the NorthEast.

Archived