CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Passenger Door Squeak

apache13

I need some suggestions...for no reason whatsoever (other than possible cold weather), my passenger door hinges started making a loud noise everytime I open and close the door....I'm always the first to pull out a can of WD-40 on a friends car when their doors squeak because it has always driven me nuts. I've tried WD-40 (quit a bit of it actually; spraying as I open and shut the door)...noise still there. I tried this thick clear lubricant a friend gave me....nothing. Does anybody have any suggestions? I've had no accidents or anything. This is driving me nuts because I broke my ankle on some ice last week and my friends and girlfriend have been driving me around in my car. Should I be worried that my doorhinge or something is bent? Everything looks perfect to me. [THE NOISE IS LOUD LIKE A DEEP GROAN; LIKE WALKING ON AN OLD 100-YEAR FLOOR]

-Thanks so much for any input. I appreciate it 100%

-Tony

Try motorcycle chain lube. It's like WD-40 in that it has an aerosol propellant that continues to boil after application, helping the oil work into the hinges. It also has a light carrier, so it is thin when sprayed but it dries to the equivalent of general purpose ball joint grease, lithium grease, or moly grease, depending on which one you by. Your auto parts store may have something like this but every motorcycle shop has a selection. Ask the guy behind the counter which one is best as a general-purpose lube for things like car door hinges.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Try motorcycle chain lube. It's like WD-40 in that it has an aerosol propellant that continues to boil after application, helping the oil work into the hinges. It also has a light carrier, so it is thin when sprayed but it dries to the equivalent of general purpose ball joint grease, lithium grease, or moly grease, depending on which one you by. Your auto parts store may have something like this but every motorcycle shop has a selection. Ask the guy behind the counter which one is best as a general-purpose lube for things like car door hinges.

Thanks alot man...I'll be doing that tommorow. This is the first time that WD-40 has failed me...are the doors just too heavy?

I dunno, two things that have always served me well have been WD-40 and duck tape...the world must be comming to an end :wacko: LOL

-Tony

HAhahahah.....those 2 things...plus 1 more...are the most important things!!

CRAZY GLUE!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHA! So true!!!!! LOL

I need some suggestions...for no reason whatsoever (other than possible cold weather), my passenger door hinges started making a loud noise everytime I open and close the door....I'm always the first to pull out a can of WD-40 on a friends car when their doors squeak because it has always driven me nuts. I've tried WD-40 (quit a bit of it actually; spraying as I open and shut the door)...noise still there. I tried this thick clear lubricant a friend gave me....nothing. Does anybody have any suggestions? I've had no accidents or anything. This is driving me nuts because I broke my ankle on some ice last week and my friends and girlfriend have been driving me around in my car. Should I be worried that my doorhinge or something is bent? Everything looks perfect to me. [THE NOISE IS LOUD LIKE A DEEP GROAN; LIKE WALKING ON AN OLD 100-YEAR FLOOR]

-Thanks so much for any input. I appreciate it 100%

-Tony

If your '97 is like my '02, then it isn't the hinges. It is the "door check". It is the black door stop thing that is located between the hinges. Try lightly greasing the door check. If that doesn't work (it didn't for mine) then buy a replacement. Mine cost about $35 from www.gmpartsdirect.com

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

Archived