CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I HATE DEER!

Yup, big buck walked out in front of me on the way home from work an hour ago. All I could see was antlers in front of my face. Got him with the left front. Antlers obviously hit the hood as it has a big gash in it. Headlight, front fender, mirror are gone. Even the drivers door is all bashed in and hard to open. I pulled chunks of hair out of the fender to door seam. Hope he dies a slow lingering death! Seems if it weren't for bad luck I wouldn't have any at all.

Wow, very sorry to hear that. Glad you are okay though; the Cadillac is easier to repair/replace.

The EDIT feature is a neat thing. I wrote something really STUPID! Glad I had an opportunity to delete it!

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

What did you write, Warren? ;)

Ranger, I've been lucky so far, with three close encounters of the third kind and one of the fourth, in which a fawn died with no damange to my Cadillac. I've learned that there are likely more to run behind a deer that scooted across a safe 150 feet ahead of you, and that slowing down isn't enough. And, in any case, the most beautiful buck I have ever seen seemed suspended in space and time above my hood, just a litte more than arm's length away.

Be sure and have your insurance company look at it while all the deer hair is still on it. You may have to file an accident report.

Unless you're ready to take KBB wholesale for your car right now, don't let them tell you that they can't fix it. They love to "total" cars because the insurance company makes more money on parted-out cars and buying equivalent cars at wholesale than they do paying claims.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Sorry about the run in Ranger, hope you can get it fixed, around here you have to watch for the deer and the beagles chasing them :huh: Beagles seem to think the road is their friend

Good Luck

It is no where near a total. It's an '03 DHS. Body shop estimate is $5300. Accident report filed. Should hear from adjuster tomorrow.

I have to fill out an accident report and send it into the state. Part of it reads as follows.

List of persons killed or injured Deer

Age ?

Sex Male

Address McHenry Co.

Describe Injuries Unknown - Left Scene

Narrative Attempted Suicide

Hang in there with your sense of humor, Larry. The cosmetic damage can be repaired.

Maybe the rodent will suffer a lingering, painfull removal from the gene pool.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Insurance adjuster looked at it today. Turns out there were some mistakes on the body shop estimate. Damage is $3900. They are going to blend all adjacent panels (right fender and drivers side rear door). He is even going to cover repainting the front bumper which is not damaged, but has many stone chips that where painted over. Pretty happy with the service so far. Should look like new when I get her back. The bad news is they can't get it in till the Monday after Thanksgiving.

On balance I'd call that good news (er, . . . ). I'm sure we're all hoping for the best for you.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Looks like a pretty simple panel R&R, the paint is what I'd worry about. My STS had the drivers side fender and door replaced before I got it and when the light hits it right I can tell (white Diamond)

Good Luck, even wrecked it's still good looking!

Ranger -- the right body shop can do the job like it never happened. Since they are "blendingadjacent body panels" and painting the -- adjacent -- bumpter cover, it sounds very much like you have a "right" one.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I have used this shop for years. Once with White Diamond. They do excellent work and it is undetectable. I am confident that she will look as good as new when I get her back. Just wish it wasn't going to take so long. In the mean time I have access to "Ruby" (my previous '02 SLS that my daughter bought), so at least I am still in a Caddy.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after several days of "Tomorrow", "Tomorrow", "Tomorrow", I finally got her back today. All is well and she looks great except that the "used" mirror from LKQ appears to have a vertical actuator that does not work. So she has to go back when they get a new one. :30 min job, so they say.

Almost got 3 more. Last night about midnight on my way home from work, I crested a small hill with a curve to the right at the bottom on a rural 2 lane county road. As I rounded the curve, what to my surprise do I see, but 3 yearling's standing in the middle of the road. If only I had been driving a pickup with a plow on it.

Almost got 3 more. Last night about midnight on my way home from work, I crested a small hill with a curve to the right at the bottom on a rural 2 lane county road. As I rounded the curve, what to my surprise do I see, but 3 yearling's standing in the middle of the road. If only I had been driving a pickup with a plow on it.

Ahh, come on Ranger.... this is a reason to get Nightvision.. leave the furry little guys alone, I actually stopped to feed them last week with my daughter on Jones Beach...

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Glad you missed this trio. I was reading that none of the gadgets to add to your vehicle to warn deer have been proved to work. Fences along the road help, but that's hard to control.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

The deer whistles do work Bruce. I have proven that before. The problem is that deer are too stupid to know what to do with the information they are given. The whistles will get their attention, but if they happen to be in the middle of the highway when they hear it, they'll just stand there and try to read your license plates. They DO NOT scare them away like some people believe.

Nothing would please me more than to leave the fury little guys alone, but they seem to have a death wish.

:lol: Hey they like being in the spotlight...

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

• 2 weeks later...
Hey they like being in the spotlight...

I like them better in the crosshairs. :)

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Archived