CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Starting

woody

Hello All,

Just recently my car cranks for a few seconds longer than normal before it actualy starts. :huh: I have no idea why. Not sure if it may be bad gas, etc. Is there anything I can check? It is a problem also as I have a remote start and it will not start the car. Can I use any octane boost or should I run this tank out. OPen for any suggestions.

Thanks

Woody

:D

Have your battery load tested

clean your battery connections good

check your fuel pressure regulator

how old are your plugs?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Forget the snake oil. Have someone turn the key on (don't crank) while you hold your ear to the open filler pipe. Do you hear the fuel pump run for 2-3 seconds? If not, check the fuel pump relay.

Have the wires been replaced ever? Have you noticed a drop in fuel economy or power? What kind of oil do you have in it? When was the last time the fuel filter or air filter had been changed?

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

All,

I will check the battery connections and fuel filter. The wires and plugs all got changed at the same time. I use 10W30 Mobil One Synthetic. It could probably use a fuel filter. The air filter I just replaced. The milage on the highway at a crusing speed of around 80mph I got going up North Michigan registered 24MPH and city I get around 19.8mph.

Ranger,

I can hear the pump for the fuel.

I will repost after checking

Woody

Fuel & air filter will have no affect on starting, nor will the oil. Since you can hear the pump, we know it is running. Next step would be to check the FPR for a leak and then check the fuel pressure itself.

The FPR is a small canister on the fuel rail. There is a vacuum hose on the top. Pull the vacuum hose with the engine at idle and look for fuel leaking at the nipple. There should be none.

To check fuel pressure, put a fuel pressure gauge on the service port. That is a schreader valve (just like a tire valve) on the fuel rail. At key on or idle, pressure should be about 45 psi.

Ranger,

Thanks I will try to check the FPR tonight, the pressue I will need to procure a gage. If the FPR is leaking what can I expect the cost to be for a new one? and is it easy to replace?

Woody

Have the wires been replaced ever? Have you noticed a drop in fuel economy or power? What kind of oil do you have in it? When was the last time the fuel filter or air filter had been changed?

This is probably a stupid question but I'm asking- what oil weight around freezing temperatures would cause the additional 2-3 second cranking? This last week we've had some 25-30 degree mornings and she's been hesitant on cranking.......... :mellow:

Woody,

Not sure on the cost. Seems I recall someone once mention $50 or so. Pretty easy to R & R.

Apache,

Oil is not your problem. It would probably take a straight 40 weight. Probably higher at those meager temps.

Ranger,

I just finished replacing the FPR and the fuel filter. All is well :D she starts just like new. Thanks again for everyones posts. Nice to get answers from people who know instead of always going to the dreaded dealer <_<

Till next time Happy Motoring

Woody

Archived