CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Trade my STS for what!?

bigjayzway

Well I had a for sale sign on my STS, as my wife wants a Deville again.

I was approached by a woman that says she wants a Cadillac again REALLY bad.

She said she would trade me her 2001 Pontiac Aztek with only 78 000kms on it.

My STS has 300 000kms on it, and she is willing to do a straight trade!?

Any opinions on this topic?

Jay :o

Oh I know it's not a Deville, but I will get another one :lol:

Life is too short to grow up!

I WOULDNT TRADE MY CADDY FOR A PONTIAC AZTEK. NOW THATS MY OPINION, AND THEIR UGLY & SLOW. WHAT DO U WANT FOR IT?

Wiz DRIVE IT LIKE YOU own it!!!!!! 1967 chevy II ( FOR SALE!!!!) 1995 Lexus Es 300 1998 SLS

The trade makes no sense from her perspective ... I doubt she will actually come through with signing the pink slips once she

gets any advice.

A current glance at your Autotrader shows the value of a 2001 Aztec hovering around $7-8k, and these cars all have around 150klm.

The Trader would put retail on the STS around $2-3k, and its tough to find any with as high mileage as yours.

I would jump all over the deal if she is dumb enough to do it ... then I would retail the Aztec and buy my Deville.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Ted tcb is right... strictly looking at book values, that's a good deal, assuming both vehicles are in good condition. I kind of wonder what kind of hideous mechanical problem is plaguing the Aztec, since she seemingly is giving it away for your sweet Seville...

This assumes you have any use for an Aztec whatsoever.... your wife wants a DeVille, not an Aztec... By this, I mean that it doesn't matter if I find a giveaway price on a school bus, because I don't need a school bus...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This beholder things the Aztec is one of the ugliest vehicles on the road today. I cannot imagine what GM's styling department was thinking when they came up with that one.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

The trade makes no sense from her perspective ... I doubt she will actually come through with signing the pink slips once she

gets any advice.

A current glance at your Autotrader shows the value of a 2001 Aztec hovering around $7-8k, and these cars all have around 150klm.

The Trader would put retail on the STS around $2-3k, and its tough to find any with as high mileage as yours.

I would jump all over the deal if she is dumb enough to do it ... then I would retail the Aztec and buy my Deville.

Or you could be honest and not take advantage of her and make sure she's still wants to swap. ;)

The Aztec leaves a lot to be desired as far as looks--In other words, it's UGLY. :blink: It's not a Cadillac--Meaning, regardless of price, you would be swapping for something that does not come close to being in the same class as a Cadillac. If she wants a Cadillac that bad she should go to a dealer and trade her car for something will lower miles.

Or you could be honest and not take advantage of her . . .

Or you could just be a guy . . . ?

Sorry . . . somebody had to say it! :rolleyes:

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Point is, on a wholesale trade, the 2001 Aztec might bring in 4k to a dealer, while the STS with

300k may bring in $1,500 ... why not grab the Aztec and sell it to provide you with the funds to

purchase the Deville?

I think she's all talk ... it just doesn't make any economic sense for her.

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Even though I value honest people and shame crooks and people who take advantage of others.....I'd be all over that pontiac to tell the truth. Take swap...sell pontiac....buy another caddy...bank the rest for the caddy's allowance. You'll be able to sleep again after a week :)

it does make sense if shes dumb enough to trade get it and sell it and buy your deville

Wiz DRIVE IT LIKE YOU own it!!!!!! 1967 chevy II ( FOR SALE!!!!) 1995 Lexus Es 300 1998 SLS

it does make sense if shes dumb enough to trade get it and sell it and buy your deville

My view is that "dumb enough" isn't sufficient grounds to take 2-3K from someone without making sure the party understands the situation. Although legally, a "mistake in value" is generally not considered grounds for rescission of a contract. I'm sure you would want someone to inform you that you are about to loose about $2,500 if you choose to go through with the deal. I know this isn't a thread about business ethics or moral principles, but I happen believe that there is such a thing as taking advantage of someone's ignorance to the point where it becomes dishonest. In fact, my view is that an honest deal is one where the parties know all the facts and are therefore in a position make an educated decision as to whether to assent to the transaction.

Sounds fishy, but if she's serious and you think you can flip it ? Just don't forget the 20 bucks for the tarp to put over the thing while it sits in the driveway :lol:

Up side is it could scare the trick or treaters away!

Please do not think I am taking advantage of anyone.

I test drove her car yesterday, and it is not perfect, but not far off.

My wife loves the aztek after driving it.

I did tell this lady the difference. Remember, she came to me.

She said she doesn't want the hassle of selling, paying tax on tax, and the rest of bull we do up here in Ontario for transffer of ownerships after buying a new(used) car.

In Ontario, we can trade and make a bill for $1.00 and we pay tax on $1.00.

If we both sell private, well thats a whole different ballgame.

She said she loves the Cadillac, and wants another one.

I had mine listed for $7200.00 and my emails are full for people wanting to come see it.

I thought these were only worth $3500.00 - $4000.00 but apparently they are going for more up here.

Like I said, I told her the difference in KMS, ans she is not worried about it. She said no matter what, she wants my car.

Just keeping you informed.

I guess I will do the trade, and let the wife decide if she wants to keep it, or get another Deville.

Either way, I am getting another Cadillac very soon.

Thanks guys.

Jay ;)

You're doing better than me, Jay.

My 99 STS with 170klm was advertised in May 06 for $9k ... best I could get was $7k, and the Canadian market has

softened, dealers are crying "no traffic" as everyone is waiting for new and used prices to plummet based upon the

strong CDN dollar vs overinflated CDN MRSP values.

I see (1) 1998 STS advertised in Ontario, 164,000 klm, asking $3994.

Yours has 300,000 klm and is worth $7200? That is absolutely incredible based upon current market conditions.

Way to go!

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

She said she doesn't want the hassle of selling, paying tax on tax, and the rest of bull we do up here in Ontario for transffer of ownerships after buying a new(used) car.

I had mine listed for $7200.00 and my emails are full for people wanting to come see it.

I thought these were only worth $3500.00 - $4000.00 but apparently they are going for more up here.

Like I said, I told her the difference in KMS, ans she is not worried about it. She said no matter what, she wants my car.

I guess I will do the trade, and let the wife decide if she wants to keep it, or get another Deville.

Thanks guys.

Jay ;)

Apparently she knows what she's doing. Good Luck with the Aztek. Please don't get the impression that I was insinuating that it was your intent to take advantage of her.

Thanks guys.

Jay ;)

Apparently she knows what she's doing. Good Luck with the Aztek. Please don't get the impression that I was insinuating that it was your intent to take advantage of her.

Hey you never know, maybe she isn't telling me something? Right?

I guess we will see.

I will be trading tomorrow, or the next day.

She had to send it into the shop, cause when I drove it, it overheated.

I told her no deal until the problem was fixed.

I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks again.

Jay

Thanks guys.

Jay ;)

Hey you never know, maybe she isn't telling me something? Right?

I guess we will see.

I will be trading tomorrow, or the next day.

She had to send it into the shop, cause when I drove it, it overheated.

I told her no deal until the problem was fixed.

I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks again.

Jay

Hmmmmm...... maybe she is "dumb like a fox"?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Well I did the trade today.

I took the Aztek home and left her the STS.

I was happy............then!

Man she overheated again on my way home.

Just as I pulled over to look, my cell phone rings.

It's her.

She says the STS is smoking!?

I tell her I will be down in the morning to look at it, and give her the Aztek back as well.

I see the leak on this Aztek is coming from the line near the thermostat, and its near the head, not the actual thermostat.

I am so glad we didn't exchange ownerships yet. We were going to wait till Monday, so we had the weekend to try each others cars out.

Now I can't sleep knowing the STS is smoking?????

I will find out as soon as I go down there.

What did she do?

Did the car overheat again?

Is it the head gasket this time?

Or did she do a few WOT and the excess oil is burning(she leaks oil pretty bad)

Well this is my nightmare now.

I will keep you all posted.

Maybe it's just the good Lord up above saying to keep the STS :-P

Personally I would keep the STS unless you like the Aztek. No shame in that if you do. After all taste in vehicles is very subjective. However, you are posting this supposed exchange on a cadillac board so expect to take some heat. Now to the important stuff. You say you want a Deville and you are willing to make this exchange, STS for Aztek, on the presumed higher value of the Aztek. I think that's where the logic falls apart.... at least for me. In a perfect situation it would be an ideal trade, for you. But since this isn't a perfect world or situation you're faced with some unknowns and little guarantees. What a book puts the Aztek value at versus what a dealer or another individual would are two different things entirely, especially if there is a problem with the Aztek that you have yet to discover. Then you'll be stuck with an Aztek that you don't like, one with a problem, and won't be able to unload at the hopeful value. Now if you actually like the Aztek then that would be a good reason to enter into this potential agreement. Also keep in mind that there are plenty of Deville owners on this board that would love to exchange for an STS hmmm. Something to think about and hopefully food for thought. My gut feeling is that you are going to get screwed in this exchange. At least you know the STS. And you don't like the Aztek. Now imagine yourself with an Aztek that you can't unload.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Well I got somewhat good info. today.

She called me to tell me it is the one rad hose that blew.

She said her neighbour is a mechanic, and he looked at it, and said it mearly need a rad hose, as the one blew apart.

Now on the other hand this Aztek need an intake gasket!

I thought it was just the thermostat, but nope, its the intake gasket.

Guess I should just trade it back?????

I should trade back and settle the Cadillac Gods. :P

Well I got somewhat good info. today.

She called me to tell me it is the one rad hose that blew.

She said her neighbour is a mechanic, and he looked at it, and said it mearly need a rad hose, as the one blew apart.

Now on the other hand this Aztek need an intake gasket!

I thought it was just the thermostat, but nope, its the intake gasket.

Guess I should just trade it back?????

I should trade back and settle the Cadillac Gods. :P

Is it the 3100 or 3400 V6 engine?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived