CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Electrical issues

thaghost87

I have a 95 caddy sts..4.6l... My tail lights are malfunctioning, when i push the brake pedal all my lights light up.. but wen i let go the break pedal only one of my lights dims. does anyone have any suggestions on the problem or how to troubleshoot it? i have checked all fuses, they are all good. Also my instrument light is out also....

I have a 95 caddy sts..4.6l... My tail lights are malfunctioning, when i push the brake pedal all my lights light up.. but wen i let go the break pedal only one of my lights dims. does anyone have any suggestions on the problem or how to troubleshoot it? i have checked all fuses, they are all good. Also my instrument light is out also....

Having no expierence of ever doing this but a sharp electrical foundation, I would troubleshoot like this (assuming all else fails): you said you have good fuses/breakers....-dash light is out....-the brake lights are staying on except 1 when depressed........I would get a wiring schematic for the brake lights and follow it through checking the connections/wires because you have continiuity which is leaving the brake lights on but a problem with breaking continuity (the lights going off)...maybe the switch that controls this is located somewhere on/near brake pedal itself. Start there and work your way to the brakelights (I think you should hear a click if you lay there and press the brake with your hands). After you're done with that (the brake lights could cause an accident) tackle the instrument light.....check the manual for removing the cluster and check that bulb/associated circutry. I hope this may help troubleshooting if you can't locate the problem. Just step back and think of "when I do this the car does this"...again hope it helps

I have a 1995 STS and I have had the same problem 2 years in a row. Check the bulbs in the rear lights. I have a tail light that fogs up on one side and it caused the bulb to get corroded and had to be replaced. It caused a short to the relay switches. There are 2 relay switches relating to the lights. I know that one is located behind the back seat. I believe the other is around the brake area. My husband did the actual replacing of the switches.

I have had to have both replaced. My dash lights and the shift lights were also out. I had brake lights but no running lights for after dark.

Hope this helps!

I have a 1995 STS and I have had the same problem 2 years in a row. Check the bulbs in the rear lights. I have a tail light that fogs up on one side and it caused the bulb to get corroded and had to be replaced. It caused a short to the relay switches. There are 2 relay switches relating to the lights. I know that one is located behind the back seat. I believe the other is around the brake area. My husband did the actual replacing of the switches.

I have had to have both replaced. My dash lights and the shift lights were also out. I had brake lights but no running lights for after dark.

Hope this helps!

thanks...and do u know how much the switches are? and what I will need to replace them?

The front brake switch was around $15 and the back fuse was around $30.

The one behind the back seat was actually a large fuse in a plastic case he said. He bought both items from the local cadillac dealer.

They had a diagram he could look at to show him where to locate the part and replace them.

I will ask him about special tools. I don't think he needed any.

The front brake switch was around $15 and the back fuse was around $30.

The one behind the back seat was actually a large fuse in a plastic case he said. He bought both items from the local cadillac dealer.

They had a diagram he could look at to show him where to locate the part and replace them.

I will ask him about special tools. I don't think he needed any.

Thanks that will be so helpful..

I had this problem with my 94 Concours. There are 2 switches on the Brake pedal assembly. The switch with 2 electrical plugs is the stop lamp switch, maybe on the bottom. The top one with 1 electrical plug is the TCC switch. Check the adjustment first before you replace it. To adjust them, push the brake pedal down, push the switches toward the floor to bottom them out, then pull the brake pedal up against the stop and the switches will adjust themselves. If the switch button shows signs of sticking replace it.

I had this problem with my 94 Concours. There are 2 switches on the Brake pedal assembly. The switch with 2 electrical plugs is the stop lamp switch, maybe on the bottom. The top one with 1 electrical plug is the TCC switch. Check the adjustment first before you replace it. To adjust them, push the brake pedal down, push the switches toward the floor to bottom them out, then pull the brake pedal up against the stop and the switches will adjust themselves. If the switch button shows signs of sticking replace it.

its not that the light stays on.. the brake lights dont dim... when i push the brake pedal the lights come on, then when i release the pedal only my right/passenger side brake light dims.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Thanks for the drawings.. and this is for a sevile? and could you email me the drawings so i can print them out?

Thanks for the drawings.. and this is for a sevile? and could you email me the drawings so i can print them out?

The posted drawings were for your Seville model year. I don't understand why you can't print them out.

The best I could do would be to e-mail you that which you already have.

Feel free to PM me if I can be of some help.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived