CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

After they borrowed your Caddy...

TDK

Borrowed your Cadillac and  

37 members have voted

1. 1. How was your Caddy after they borrowed it?

• Wow, I could not believe how clean it was, a full tank and now everything works again!!
    • Better than when I lent it to them!
    • I could not tell the differance.
    • They changed all my seat and radio settings!
    • They left it a mess and the dang gas tank tank empty.
    • They totaled it, (and if I ever find my Brother-in-Law, I'm gonna...).
    • I have never seen it since...
    • I would *NEVER* lend my Cadillac to ANYONE!!

Folks,

Our yougest son drove up from Reno to help us clean out the garage and paint it inside. He has been driving our '94 Councours (the Big Red Dog - BRD), for more than 6-months. He has left his '05 EVO, tricked-out racer car parked in the single-car bay of his garage, while the Caddy gets the double-car bay. The EVO is just too much trouble to fire up and get all the O2 readings, temperatures and various controls stabilzed - to drive everyday

I decided to drive the BRD it this morning to get the newspaper and some coffe - just to see how its doing.

Yup, its still just fine! I had helped him install a new radio head unit and wire it to the original speakers, (still ok). All the windows and seats were clean and the outside was nice and shiney.

It still sounds and seems more "ready to run - right now", compared to our '99 DeVille, (but they have the same engine /tranny). I WOT'ed it in second and still no poof of carbon upon deceleration.

I filled it up for him since he's such a good kid an all, (and I worked him 'till he ached).

This got me thinking a bit about the few cars I have borrowed. It seems I usually fill 'em up and clean out before giving them back. I once did some body work in addition to a total detail job (over time) for a nephew and he simply parked his car at our place for a few months. Most don't want to borrow from me because I tend to expect the item to be in better shape when it is returned - be it tools, a car or whatever. I don't say anything, but I guess they just know, when I start to clean it up after they hand it to me..

This subject might reveal someting about us and the people we lend our cars to.

I could not figure out how to do a poll anymore, but this seems like a reasonable and interesting question:

How was your Caddy after they borrowed it? :huh:

1. Wow, I could not believe how clean it was, a full tank and now everything works again!! :o

2. Better than when I lent it to them! :P

3. I could not tell the differance. -_-

4. They changed all my seat and radio settings! <_<

5. They left it a mess and the dang gas tank tank empty.

6. They totaled it, (and if I ever find my Brother-in-Law, I'm gonna...).

7. I have never seen it since...

Have fun, :D

[edited to add as a poll - Bruce]

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

I never lend my Cadillac to anyone. I have had a couple of dealers wipe off the passenger side rear view mirror, and the paint on it shows scratches with white paint in them. It's possible that this happens when I use valet parking, but I know that it has happened several times over the years when interns take it through the car wash at the dealership.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Yeah, Jim I hear yah.

I hate leaving my caddy at the dealer.

Took mine in last week to replace the rear quarter window, which THEY

thought would fix the windnoise issue.

Anyway, got my caddy back. They replaced the quarter window alright,

but left a couple abrasions when they removed the door panel.

Not really noticeable, except by me.

Still pisses me off though. And the windnoise is still there.

I don't lend tools or my Deville. But when I borrow someones car, I take it to the car wash and fill it up.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I hope TDK does not mind, but I added a poll choice for "I would *NEVER* lend my Cadillac to anyone!!"

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I'm with Ranger and BodybyFisher. Note that a category, "I would NEVER lend my Cadillac" has been added, and I voted there. ^_^

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I would never let anyone borrow my Caddy. Never. Matter of fact, I hide the spare set of keys in the basement right above the water heater and the other set stays with me 24/7. My 17 year old son... if he thought could get away with it... I'm sure he'd take it for a joy ride. I remember being 17 and those tranny's always seemed to go out when I was driving the family car. Hmmm... :lol:

mynewcaddych2.jpg

When I was 16 to 18, I never hurt the family car. In fact, they would let me drive it when it started to miss or hesitate. They ran that 1953 Packard 400 with its 327 cid straight 8 flathead, 180 hp with four-barrel carburetor, on regular gas. I would just put a tank of high-test gas in it and drive it. I loved that car. It drove and handled like a small car. It had a signal-seeking radio, auto-dim headlights, and a Borg Warner automatic (Packard called it an Ultramatic) two-speed with dry-disk-clutch lockup. After just a few miles it would smooth out and run great. I'm sure that they thought that I was thrashing it in a manner that they would not dare, but I never did anything of the sort and always treated that fine car with the greatest of respect. I would drive it up to three days, or as long as I could stall them, telling them that it needed more time. B)

I would never let anyone borrow my Caddy. Never. Matter of fact, I hide the spare set of keys in the basement right above the water heater and the other set stays with me 24/7. My 17 year old son... if he thought could get away with it... I'm sure he'd take it for a joy ride. I remember being 17 and those tranny's always seemed to go out when I was driving the family car. Hmmm... :lol:

This is so funny, I was directly responsible for my parents 64 and 65 caddy trannies self destructing.... :lol: not tomention a bunch of engine mounts :lol:

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

When I was 16 to 18, I never hurt the family car. In fact, they would let me drive it when it started to miss or hesitate. They ran that 1953 Packard 400 with its 327 cid straight 8 flathead, 180 hp with four-barrel carburetor, on regular gas. I would just put a tank of high-test gas in it and drive it. I loved that car. It drove and handled like a small car. It had a signal-seeking radio, auto-dim headlights, and a Borg Warner automatic (Packard called it an Ultramatic) two-speed with dry-disk-clutch lockup. After just a few miles it would smooth out and run great. I'm sure that they thought that I was thrashing it in a manner that they would not dare, but I never did anything of the sort and always treated that fine car with the greatest of respect. I would drive it up to three days, or as long as I could stall them, telling them that it needed more time. B)

Wow Jim, my parents had a 54 packard carabean... it was beautiful.. to me it had the quality of a cadillac with its wire wheels, power everything and leather seats.. it was red with a red leather interior see this article, imagine the 54 was $6100 in 1954! NO WONDER they folded! :lol:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1954-packard-caribbean.htm

Our 1953 Packard 400 had the general body style of your 1954 Caribbean, but of course it was a four-door sedan, not a convertible. The 1954 was the last straight 8 flathead, with the top-of-the-line being an aluminum head 369 cid with 212 hp at 4000 RPM and 330 lb-ft torque at 2200 RPM. This was the most advanced flathead straight 8 ever produced.

Of course, Packard's very tardy V8 appeared in 1955, while the industry leaders produced their OHV V8's in 1949 -- as early as possible for use of technology developed during WW II. By 1955, Packard was on the brink and toppling, and only the merger with Studebaker provided survival as a marque for a few more years. The 1957 year model was the last for a Packard-specific platform. :wipetears

Of course, the Packard V8 provided the combined company with the juice for the Avanti and other successes that provided the basis for continuation for a few years into the 1960's.

You would think that because of their involvement with the Merlin engine they would be quicker on the move to a V8:

The P-51, as well as being economical to produce, the Mustang was a fast, well-made and highly durable aircraft. The definitive version of the single-seat fighter was powered by the Packard V-1650-3, a two-stage two-speed supercharged 12-cylinder Packard-built version of the legendary Rolls-Royce Merlin engine, and armed with six of the aircraft version of the .50 caliber (12.7 mm) Browning machine guns

Normally I'm with the anti-sharing crowd. However, I've let my father drive the caddy once or twice. We're a lot alike so there is an unsaid understanding and he's a very good driver. Now when I got married and was forced into this share and share alike rule that accompanies the vows, well I was really nervous. I've been known to refer to my wife as "the pothole magnet" (my father used to refer to my mother as the Saturday night curb driver) which, for some reason, she doesn't find endearing. At first, I was upfront and adamant about her not driving the caddy, sighting high repair costs as the primary excuse. She actually went along with that.... for awhile. Her driving skills have vastly improved the past two years and presently I'm comfortable with her taking the caddy. In fact I even suggest it some times. She does look good in it I have to admit. Only gripe I have is that she leaves her used tissues behind for me to discover... ack! I've also referred to her as the one woman tree killer for all the tissues she goes through. Share and share alike indeed.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Regarding BodybyFisher's remark about Packard's involvement with RR Merlin V12 production, those engines were built to drawings made from prototypes, and the engine component contractors were just foundaries. Packard's management was of the opinion that the V8 had a primary imbalance that made it unsuitable as an engine for luxury automobiles. They hit a dead end in straight 8 flathead performance and breathing in 1954 and were left in the dust with 212 hp when Cadillac had 230 hp from a smaller engine, and nobody complained about engine vibration in the Cadillac. With Henry Ford I dead, even Lincoln had an OHV V8 in 1954.

I have to agree with BodyByFisher - I don't lend tools nor my ETC. I'll let you borrow my beat-up chevy though. (maybe... <_< )

By the time my son is old enough to drive, he'll already understand the love of a fine car - he helps me buff cars now - so at that point I may have to concede.

Resistance is futile.

quake_tux.gif

I've lent out the Blazer to friends a few times who needed to move stuff around. That car's got so many problems now though that I really don't give a darn if they drive it hard because the life left on it is short to none. The Caddy...no. I've let people drive it, but only when I'm in the passanger seat.

I voted that I would never lend my Cadillac to anyone; however, I would to my brother or sisters or parents, if needed--That's it. First, the owner is responsible for his/her car--so if there's an accident then I would not want to be held liable for personal injury of another, especially when I wasn't at fault. This possibility alone is enough for me to not lend my car to anyone except under rare circumstances and only to a close family member.

Two consectutive nights of dining out and numerous "Black Russians" have indeed taken their toll, as far as coherent replying, (not that this qualifies in any case).

Bruce,

Thanks for making the post into a Poll and then adding the "I NEVER lend..." answer. I never would have thought of that option.

All,

I suppose I'm a bit surprised at some answers because - while I do admire Caddys, they are after all... believe it or not, "a machine", (granted, a finely honed one). :rolleyes:

I can agree that having our son drive our other Caddy around is really not the same as giving your one and only cherished daily driver to whomever. <_<

However, I think that one of the best ways to know someone, (and vice versa), is to help them without any expectation of compensation. Specifically, in the case of a loaning a Caddy, a lot of folks will not ever drive one around - if not for that kind of oppertunity. They can get an idea of what you think is a great car/value and they of course - also get to make some observations of the vehicle itself without a sales pressure-cooker. ;)

At the same time, I am painfully aware of the sort of people who have no respect for other people's property and seemiingly trash whatever they touch. Its those folks that you get to know as well and then possibliy - might never have to know again. This treatise on selective-association might not apply to family, but at least we can still choose our friends, (I think). :huh:

Please don't think I'm taking the so-called "high road" here and advocating all Caddy owners to leave the keys on the hood. I just think we are in a splendid position to spread the word regarding these fine automobiles in a small way now and then. -_-

And... blame the "Black Russians" if this all sounds like a lot of BS anyway, B)

I'll probably agree with you tomorrow. :P

"Nick The Man" next to the BRD (Big Red Dog)

post-73-1192589496_thumb.jpg

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Lotta good responses here.... I'm shocked TDK never thought of "I never lend..."... I guess I'm just a jerk, I hardly lend, and I'm severely restrictive of who I lend to.

On the rare occasions I borrow someone's car, first, I'm nervous, because I don't want anything to happen to it... so I always feel that rush of relief when I give it back, thanking my lucky stars I didn't crack it up, and that nothing broke in it while I had it....

Also, I wash it, fill it up, and give it back, just to sort of say "thanks" for loaning me the car...

I'd never loan the Caddy.... now, I have no kids, I'm not married... I can get away with that.

I loaned the Tahoe a few times, and was quite disappointed in how it was given back. Grease slimed all over the seat, truck covered in mud, gas gauge pegging on E.... I mean, shees, didja ever think of giving it back at least roughly in the same condition it was in when you borrowed it??? And I had plenty to say about it, and that definitely put a chill on those friendships...

The other problem is when you refuse... one of my best friends wanted to borrow the Caddy one time, and I was like "Take my Tahoe if you want..." Well, the look on his face, he was really hurt by that... And I'm sorry, I mean, I love this guy, but wow, the way he drives... it's a little scary. I honestly try not to ride with this guy. One of his rides is in the body shop every 12 months, on average, I would say. He's not afraid of contact. I look at brake pads and rotors as something you have to do, if you drive a car for a period of time.... that's how he feels about body shops.

So, to quote Steve Martin, Excuuuuuuse meeeee if I don't want my Caddy cracked up....

I just don't loan the Caddy.... I'm too emotionally attached to it. Plus, since there's no more Eldorados, finding mint condition examples floating around is getting harder every day....

That being said, I mean, My Dad, and a guy at my condo complex.... I'd loan them anything. They have respect for a car. They keep their stuff nice. When they borrow my truck, my neighbor, he'll even park it exactly where it was, like it was never gone... maybe I'm just too picky about my stuff, and there's only a few other OCD picky people like me floating around....

• 1 year later...

What topic???

Oh. I'm very reluctant to even let my wife drive my Cadillac. I can see from the scratches on my rear-view mirrors that my car isn't driven all that carefully even when it's serviced. I had one dealer wipe the driver's side mirror completely off. The way I could tell was that it too an hour and a half to wash my car, and then it had a faint smell of paint when I got in it. I try to be careful where I park it, too. The worst door ding in it was put there by a Priest, perhaps a Bishop.

With my hot-rod exhaust note, which some compare to that of a V8 in a Chris Craft, and its really nice throttle response, I'm not real keen on anybody getting in it without me there. I've mentioned a tricked-out 327 Chevrolet I had many years ago; I let a friend run an errand in it and he came back complaining that the clutch slipped, and, sure enough, it did.

• 2 years later...
Oh. I'm very reluctant to even let my wife drive my Cadillac. I can see from the scratches on my rear-view mirrors that my car isn't driven all that carefully even when it's serviced. I had one dealer wipe the driver's side mirror completely off. The way I could tell was that it too an hour and a half to wash my car, and then it had a faint smell of paint when I got in it. I try to be careful where I park it, too. The worst door ding in it was put there by a Priest, perhaps a Bishop.

For my two cents on this topic, and a sad commentary on Cadillac service, the local Chrysler/Toyota dealership takes better care of my Wrangler JK4 than my local caddy dealership takes care of my DTS Lux III. I get the Jeep back from service and the seats are completely covered in plastic and there are paper floor mats in there. When I get the Caddy back there are none of those things and grease on the steering wheel and door panels. Makes me wonder.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

My local dealer, Crest Cadillac, (also a sponsor here btw) does the paper floor mats and vacuum/wash no matter what the V is in for. If you have a choice of Cadillac dealers you may want to shop around. It may also be something the management is not aware of and would want to know.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived