CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Proper Coolant Flush Procedure

95SevilleSLS

Can somebody tell me what the proper procedure is for flushing your coolant? What parts you need to buy and what you're supposed to do. I think I have the right idea, but I want to make sure.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Can somebody tell me what the proper procedure is for flushing your coolant? What parts you need to buy and what you're supposed to do. I think I have the right idea, but I want to make sure.

I just flushed mine today. I drained and flushed with drinking water, then added Dexcool & distilled water - 50/50. Don't forget thet pellets!!

http://www.barsproducts.com/HDC.htm

http://www.caddyinfo.com/howtosealantconfusion.htm

mynewcaddych2.jpg

Hi, i changed the coolant on my 95 STS this summer, but i did not flush the system before refilling it! This because if u flush it, then it can loosen dirt and other stuff in the system and clogg it!

It has worked fine so far...

Roger Martinsen

I just pull the lower radiator hose off and drain as much coolant as I can, then refill with Dexcool and distilled water and a package of Bar's Leaks tablets (or the powder).

I also believe in replacing the water pump, w-p drive belt and tensioner every 75,000 miles or so.

Same with the serpentine belt, tensioner and idler pulley, sure it may be overkill and un-necessary, but then again I've never had any of these components fail...

IMO 75,000 to 90,000 miles is a good "rule of the thumb" time for a comprehensive service on your Northstar engine and your transmission.

I did not find this all that informative, but here is what my shop manual says:

Flushing

Important

Do not use a chemical flush.

Store used coolant in the proper manner, such as in a used engine coolant holding tank. Do not pour used coolant down a drain. Ethylene glycol antifreeze is a very toxic chemical. Do not dispose of coolant into the sewer system or ground water. This is illegal and ecologically unsound.

Various methods and equipment can be used to flush the cooling system. If special equipment is used, such as a back flusher, follow the manufacturer's instruction. However, always remove the thermostat before back flushing the system.

Block the drive wheels.

Place the transmission in PARK (P) or NEUTRAL (N).

Engage the park brake.

Run the engine until the thermostat opens.

Stop the engine.

Follow the drain and fill procedure using only clean drinkable water. Repeat the procedure if necessary, until the fluid is nearly colorless. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System .

Fill the coolant reservoir to the FULL HOT mark.

Fill the cooling system. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System .

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived