CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Stability sensor noise

dooinit

Can anything be done about a squeaking noise coming from the right front stabilizer sensor? It is on a '98 STS with 40k. Dealer showed that is where the noise is by disconnecting the activating rod and moving the body up and down. They said there is no way to quiet it, and replacement is $400+. It was suggested that I wait til I get a message to service. That is fine, except that it gets more annoying every day.

I have to ask; what is a stabilizer sensor? Any way you could post a picture of what you are talking about?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I have to ask; what is a stabilizer sensor? Any way you could post a picture of what you are talking about?

I can't give you a picture, but this is what the dealer said. There is one on each corner of the car and at least one more on the transmission,I think. They give the computer info about where those points are in relation to where they should be. Don't quote me on that but that is what I understand..I know one time I turned a corner too short and one wheel went up on the curb and I got a message on the info screen. Any way it is connected to the suspension with a rod that actuates it when the car moves up or down. The way they tested it was to put the car on a lift and pull the body up and down. After disconnecting the rod from the suspension the sound was gone. If anybody has better info I would like to see it.

I can't give you a picture, but this is what the dealer said. There is one on each corner of the car and at least one more on the transmission,I think. They give the computer info about where those points are in relation to where they should be. Don't quote me on that but that is what I understand..
I don't have to quote you; your comments are part of the record.

What your dealer should have told you (and maybe did tell you?) was that one or more of your "suspension position sensors" is not operating properly.

There is no way your transmission has a similar suspension position sensor. If your dealer told you that it does, find another dealer ASAP.

....I know one time I turned a corner too short and one wheel went up on the curb and I got a message on the info screen.
What was the message? If the noisy suspension position sensor is located at the same corner as the "one wheel went up on the curb", there is your answer. You abused the car and the noise is part of the consequence.
....The way they tested it was to put the car on a lift and pull the body up and down.
How did they pull the body UP?
.... If anybody has better info I would like to see it.
Lose the attitude and you will be rewarded with help and guidance from folks more knowledgable than me.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I can't give you a picture, but this is what the dealer said. There is one on each corner of the car and at least one more on the transmission,I think. They give the computer info about where those points are in relation to where they should be. Don't quote me on that but that is what I understand..

What your dealer should have told you (and maybe did tell you?) was that one or more of your "suspension position sensors" is not operating properly.

There is no way your transmission has a similar suspension position sensor. If your dealer told you that it does, find another dealer ASAP.

....I know one time I turned a corner too short and one wheel went up on the curb and I got a message on the info screen.
What was the message? If the noisy suspension position sensor is located at the same corner as the "one wheel went up on the curb", there is your answer. You abused the car and the noise is part of the consequence.
....The way they tested it was to put the car on a lift and pull the body up and down.
Lose the attitude and you will be rewarded with help and guidance from folks more knowledgable than me.

OK, that was not an attitude comment, I would really like to have info on this. What I should have said about pulling the body up and down is that the mechanic shook it by holding the front bumper and making it go up and down causing the sound.

OK, that was not an attitude comment, I would really like to have info on this. What I should have said about pulling the body up and down is that the mechanic shook it by holding the front bumper and making it go up and down causing the sound.

By the way, the sound was there long before the curb incident.

Whoa! Lighten up there JimD. If I got busted like that for every snide comment I ever made, I'd have been history long ago. I understood what ztrman was saying, and didn't take offense to any of his comments. Anyway, my question would be this:

Can you remove the arm from the offending position sensor and duplicate the noise by only moving just IT up and down. That would be the only way to TRULY determine if it is indeed the offending part. Just moving the whole car body up and down causes WAY TOO MANY things to move......it doesn't isolate the part.

I suspect that telling you that it is a position sensor builds in at least $400.00 worth of time chasing the noise....which may or may not be found.

If you can duplicate the noise by moving just the sensor arm, then I'd try some dry moly spray or some kind of silicone spray lube to try to quiet the thing. If all else fails, buy a new sensor from RockAuto for about half the price you were quoted.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Whoa! Lighten up there JimD. If I got busted like that for every snide comment I ever made, I'd have been history long ago. I understood what ztrman was saying, and didn't take offense to any of his comments. Anyway, my question would be this:

Can you remove the arm from the offending position sensor and duplicate the noise by only moving just IT up and down. That would be the only way to TRULY determine if it is indeed the offending part. Just moving the whole car body up and down causes WAY TOO MANY things to move......it doesn't isolate the part.

I suspect that telling you that it is a position sensor builds in at least $400.00 worth of time chasing the noise....which may or may not be found.

If you can duplicate the noise by moving just the sensor arm, then I'd try some dry moly spray or some kind of silicone spray lube to try to quiet the thing. If all else fails, buy a new sensor from RockAuto for about half the price you were quoted.

JohnnyG.. Thanks for the informative post, I'm going to do further checking. I am new to this board and was about ready to forget it after the replies from Terminus and JimD. I would think that type of reply would be more appropriate somewhere else.

Don't worry too much about it. I think they may have been having a bad day. Everyone here knows that I'm not always at my best either.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived