CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1999 DEVILLE SPARK PLUG

caddyon20s

Hi, i bought a 99 deville and had to replace my engine 3 moths after i bought it due to head gasket, i got an used engine with 81 kmiles paid 2500 total labor and engine, when i saw all the reciepts from the mechanic shop i saw they use spark plugs that where 2.68 each that was 25 kmiles ago, i wanna replace all 8 but i dont know what spark plugs to get??

i have another problem too my exhaust smells pretty bad when i start my caddy it smell as if it was an old truk exhaust, could it be the bad spark plugs??? i checked all of my brothers cars and none of them smelled that bad as mine.

please help!!!!!

I doubt you'll find anyone here who will recommend anything other than genuine AC/Delco replacements. Too many have experienced problems going any other way. The same goes for spark plug wires.

Any DTCs?

Regards,

Warren

EDIT: Oops. :welcomesmiley: DTCs = "Diagnostic Trouble Codes." Info available here: http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Any number of things might cause a "bad exhaust smell," but most of those things will set a DTC.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Many here have lauded http://www.rockauto.com as having the best prices and delivery. I haven't had any experience with them.

YMMV.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

I can personally vouch for Rockauto. Good prices and lightening fast shipping. That said, you should be able to buy A/C Delco plugs locally.

As for the smelly exhaust, check for a leaky FPR. It is a small canister on the fuel rail. With the engine running, pull the vacuum line and look for fuel leaking from the nipple. If fuel is present, replace the FPR.

18-19 mpg around town? That's pretty good, and it wont get much better than that. On the highway? Not so much. If your plug wires have never been changed, change them. It should help tremendously.

95 Eldo---Sold!

05 STS4-WooHoo!!!!!

thank a lot for ur help,,, would i see any inprovement by changing my spark plugs to ac delco??? i get arround 18 to 19 miles to a gallon.

Am improvement in what? Mileage? Probably not.

18 t0 19 thats town and highway together i use premium gas, like i said my car has the cheap spark plugs 2 dollars and something each, would replacing them to the ac delco ones wich are like 6 dollars a pece make any difference???

18 t0 19 thats town and highway together i use premium gas, like i said my car has the cheap spark plugs 2 dollars and something each, would replacing them to the ac delco ones wich are like 6 dollars a pece make any difference???

They won't make a difference now but in 10 or 15 thousand miles, the cheap plugs will wear out and need replacement. The factory plugs are the dual platinum tipped AC's and sell for $5.50-6.00 each but last over 100,000 miles.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Any number of things might cause a "bad exhaust smell," but most of those things will set a DTC.

I don't think a leaking injector will set a code. I know a leaking FPR won't set a code. My first bet is on the latter.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

so since ive drove with the cheap plugs 2.26 each for almost 25 kmiles do i need to replace them???

By now the gap may have eroded so it may be time to at least regap them.

If your plugs are platinum and the car drives good which is unusuall you should be good to 50000 mi. saying that the smell is probably a emission problem the plugs can not be ruled out nor the fpr and the oxy sensors first thing to do is check for codes in the history (off/warmer) Mike

One of the side benefits of putting the platinum plugs in and letting them go 100K miles is that you DON'T have to keep setting the gap or changing them. The LAST thing you want is buggered up spark plug threads in the head... Put the platinum in and forget about them. If those are standard NON PLATINUM plugs they will need gapping and or replacing at 15K max, the voltage is so great with these coils that they won't fare well.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Just buy OEM DELCO plugs.

Pre-gapped plugs need to be gapped. That's life. ;)

Surely you wouldn't buy "pre-gapped plugs" and simply just screw them into your engine without first checking them. Would you?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Never put plugs into an engine without at least CHECKING the gap. All it takes is to be dropped or bumped on the end kinda hard, even while still in the box, to knock the gap off. You don't know how the new plugs have been handled. Plugs are a critical element to proper engine performance.

I agree with Warren. OEM AC Delco plugs.

There is usually a small box of the little round gapper things sitting by the cash register. About the size of a silver dollar. About 99 cents. I prefer a wire gauge gapper, then a feeler gauge then the round gapper.. in that order.

Posted Image

Archived