CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Trumpet Horns

Ranger

Someone at cadillacforums is parting out a Deville that has trumpets. My '03 FSM just says that I have a high & low note horn, but does not give the notes. Anyone know which notes I need?

I believe the newer 'High' and 'Low' notes are equivalent to the Delco-Remy 'A' and 'F' horns. To complete the Trumpet Horn package, you need the 'C' and 'D'. I mounted these two in the passenger side fender area, behind the headlamp assembly, then fabricated a wiring harness, tapping power at the Relay Centre and utilising an existing ground connection on the frame rail.

At one time, I considered these guys for an upgrade to the horn on my wife's Pontiac:

http://www.hornblasters.com/

Never did get one, though.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I believe the newer 'High' and 'Low' notes are equivalent to the Delco-Remy 'A' and 'F' horns. To complete the Trumpet Horn package, you need the 'C' and 'D'. I mounted these two in the passenger side fender area, behind the headlamp assembly, then fabricated a wiring harness, tapping power at the Relay Centre and utilising an existing ground connection on the frame rail.

Thank Kevin. I was thinking I could just tap off of the existing horn wires. Is that not possible? If not, I'll have to do some studying to figure out how to use your method.

Larry,

I installed the extra horns on both of my Sevilles - the Trumpet horn is so distinctively "Cadillac". I just tapped into the existing wiring for the existing horns. The '96 has had 4 horns since 2000 and the '97 received them in May of last year after the Timesert job. Both still function fine. You can look at your existing horns to see the note - it will be molded in the plastic with a circle around the letter.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The original 'F' and 'A' note horns are located on the driver's side; if the original locations are retained ('C' and 'D' on the passenger side), this would require running a wire (or 2!) across the width of the car, almost all the way back to the 'source' (relay). The original 18 gauge wire is already marginal for the load of 1 horn. Two additional horns equates to 9+ amps! Despite the voltage drop associated with the marginal wiring and additional length, they'd probably still fire, though the tone may not be ideal. Older models used much heavier wiring...

This horn is a bit older (single wire connection), but the design is similar. This isn't a great picture, but can you spot the moulded 'C' between the connector and the name 'Delco'? :)

post-15-1184900743_thumb.jpg

You're right Kevin, not a very good picture, but I think I see it. I linked this page to him. Maybe that will help. I'm not having any luck finding the DTS console & shifter. Maybe at least I can get the trumpets. Thanks.

If I'm not mistaken, they are sometimes simply referred to as "high note" and "low note" horns. I think I read that horns have not been consistently stamped or referred to as A, C, D, and F note horns. I had these dealer installed last year in my 97 Eldorado. Took the tech quite a while to do it right as I recall. He assured me the horns would be mounted open end facing down so as not to accumulate rainwater over time. I was lucky the dealer only charged me for an hour and a half labor, the car was in the shop for more like two and a half or three hours. Two local Cadillac dealers refused to install the horns for me. Had to travel 45 minutes north to find a Cadillac dealer willing to do the installation. The two horn notes I needed to purchase (C & D??) were from a mid-eighties Brougham. I ordered them new from this dealer. These were new GM (Cadillac) parts. I remember when the installation was completed, the tech sounded the horn in the shop to test it out. A customer standing nearby ( as I was) remarked "what the f___ was that?" I believe the Eldorado came standard with the A and F note horns from the factory. The Eldorado sounds great with the trumpets. Like a Cadillac should.

Thanks Kevin. Still haven't heard if he has found the other two horns. Left another post last night. Gotta check for a response now.

• 1 month later...

This is interesting. I never saw this thread and didnt know anything about horns. I don't like my horn, I miss the horn I had in the 66, it was more high pitched. This horn has a fog horn sound to it, that make this car appear like a steam liner :lol: I will see what I can find in the scrap yard for you. There were a lot of horns.

I can't remember if my '81, '83 or '85 had them or not. I know my '97 did and I think my '92 did. I don't know why they did away with them. They DID get peoples attention. My '03 sounds kind of pimpy by comparison. That is why I want to add the "C" & "D" notes.

Larry you should be able to find horns at junk yards I been down those roads before Sometimes they have piles of horns or you have to go out in the wrecking yard & hunt around Now if you really want to get peoples attention get some air horns I had a set of those on a 85 eldo that I had to install a compressor to drive the horns people sure did jump when I hit those horns It was a lot of work & expense for the horns but they were a lot of fun to play with

Good Luck

Jim

Ranger,

This may not help you much, but perhaps it might interest others . . . .

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...&hl=WarrenJ

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Larry you should be able to find horns at junk yards I been down those roads before Sometimes they have piles of horns or you have to go out in the wrecking yard & hunt around Now if you really want to get peoples attention get some air horns I had a set of those on a 85 eldo that I had to install a compressor to drive the horns people sure did jump when I hit those horns It was a lot of work & expense for the horns but they were a lot of fun to play with

Good Luck

Jim

Yeah, I had a set of air horns on a '69 Road Runner and a '69 Riv. Sounded like the Queen Mary. People MOVED when you hit them. If that didn't work, the Riv also had a set of DC8 landing light to singe the hair on the back of their necks if they would not move over or burn their retnas if they did not dim their lights. :lol:

Now that I know what I am looking for I'll get you the horns next week Ranger, they have about 20 Cadillac now, mostly Sevilles

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Hi Larry

Yeah, I had a set of air horns on a '69 Road Runner and a '69 Riv. Sounded like the Queen Mary. People MOVED when you hit them. If that didn't work, the Riv also had a set of DC8 landing light to singe the hair on the back of their necks if they would not move over or burn their retnas if they did not dim their lights.

We think along the same lines. When I lived in Italy(Sicily) they would tail gate you on the auto strada(freeway) & flash their brights I beacme tired of that. I also installed 2 aircraft landing lights under the bumper on a alfa romeo that I had I had to install 2 aircraft batteries & a step up transformer in my trunk to power those lights They run on a 28v system When someone would light me up good I would slow down let them pass Then stay on their A with those lights on the cars would be all over the road even lighting them up from behind would blind the driver I bet they could almost feel the heat from those lights It would be funny when I hit the lights the car would slow down or pull off the road I didn't use them much for blinding cars but they were great on the open road when no cars were around you sure could see a long way

Jim

Believe it or not Jim, the DC8 lights were a perfect plug & play with the old sealed beam lights. They where however a 13v light and I would trip a circuit breaker after about 5 min. running on the highway. Fortunately I lived in Chicago at the time so I rarely used them other than as a weapon or a novilty, but they would light up a country highway like daytime for a good 2 miles.

Now that I know what I am looking for I'll get you the horns next week Ranger, they have about 20 Cadillac now, mostly Sevilles

Thanks Mike.

Believe it or not Jim, the DC8 lights were a perfect plug & play with the old sealed beam lights. They where however a 13v light and I would trip a circuit breaker after about 5 min. running on the highway. Fortunately I lived in Chicago at the time so I rarely used them other than as a weapon or a novilty, but they would light up a country highway like daytime for a good 2 miles.

Thanks Mike.

Larry,

Let me know how it works out for you, I wouldn't mind "upgrading" the horns on my DTS.

Archived