CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

plastic hedlights

joeydax

Most folks start with wet paper with a rough enough grit to remove most of the smaller imperfections. Follow that with finer and finer grit wet sanding ending with 2000 paper. By hand only.

Then a plastic polish like Mequire's PlastX. You will need to use the PlastX every 6 months or so to keep the cloudiness at bay.

No need to remove the lamp assembly. Use cardboard to protect the bumper cover.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Maybe the easier way to handle this is to take it to a body shop. They will buff it until it's clear as new.

That's what I did. I had to have the car repainted after an accident, in which I was not involved, sprayed a gazillion rock pebbles all over my car. The bodyshop guy simply took his buffing tools and buffed out pits and scratches in the headlights. They now look brand-spanking new, crystal-clear. It probably took him all of 15 minutes.

After that, I applied 3M paint protection film on the headlights. They'll look absolutely clear for years to come.

The headlights were already clouded from many miles of pebbles and other road debris. The buffing was like magic and it was absolutely painless.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

You could go to a hobby store and get some jewelers rouge. It is a VERY FINE abrasive. Use a clean polishing pad. It just takes a few minutes and they look new again.

Jim

Posted Image

This product was reviewed on Motorweek and got a good review:

http://www.permatex.com/products/automotiv...ation_Kit_1.htm

Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

these kits are sold in ebay,

vikingkittogether.jpg

b920_1_b.JPG

also,

LensRite works well. It takes off the cloudy oixidation on headlights

makes them bright and clean.

www.wheelslogic.com Tel. 519-661-9126

there seems to be a needed final step to re-apply a coating AFTER

the job is done to protect the lens - not all kits have that as most

simply give you the ability to clear up the lens.

POLYCARBONATE COMPOSITE HEADLIGHTS Today's headlights are manufactured of polycarbonate plastic for its tensile strength and ability to be manufactured to conform to the front-end styling of a vehicle. Polycarbonate, although a very hard plastic, is a very porous plastic so during manufacturing a protective silicone hard coat is applied to the headlight lenses. This silicone hard coat is to protect the lens from intense sun and heat, road chemicals, humidity and acid rain.

The PROBLEM:

Intense sun and heat, road chemicals, humidity, insects, bird droppings and acid rain combined with the heat of the halogen bulb will, in as little as 1-2 years, damage the protective hard coat to the point that an ugly discolored, cloudy, hazy appearance develops on the lenses. This damage will restrict the headlights ability to project its beam of light by as much as 90% !

Resurface them, with a Resurfacer that will adhere to Polycarbonate, Acrylic and Lexan plastic, for long lasting protection. You should expect around 2 years of protection, depending on climate conditions.

ChryslerVanBefore_Afterbig.jpg

===================

i become interested on the 3M product so i went to the 3M website.

although it seems great for the leading surfaces, regarding headlights,

this is what i found:

Q. Can Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film be used on headlights or windshields?

A. No, it does not meet the Department of Transportation's standards for optical clarity.

Maybe the easier way to handle this is to take it to a body shop. They will buff it until it's clear as new.

That's what I did. I had to have the car repainted after an accident, in which I was not involved, sprayed a gazillion rock pebbles all over my car. The bodyshop guy simply took his buffing tools and buffed out pits and scratches in the headlights. They now look brand-spanking new, crystal-clear. It probably took him all of 15 minutes.

After that, I applied 3M paint protection film on the headlights. They'll look absolutely clear for years to come.

The headlights were already clouded from many miles of pebbles and other road debris. The buffing was like magic and it was absolutely painless.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_U...me/For/the_Pro/

Interesting.....it's still crystal clear with the 3M paint protection film. You can't tell it's on there. It's been about 1.5 years since application. The alternative is to not have the 3M film on it and have the lens cloud up again.

Plus, if something happens to the 3M film, it's easy to take off and re-apply.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

Archived