CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

My Battery Fell Apart

MAC

Today I drove to the local supermarket to pick up a few things. When I came out--Nothing--Not even a click--everything was totally dead. :rolleyes: I figured the positive cable needed a bit of cleaning, so I took my trusty 5/16-inch wrench and proceeded to unscrew the cable. Well, next thing I know is the whole terminal fell out. :blink: Luckily there was a car parts store about a quarter mile away so I walk there and bought a NASCAR Extreme battery with a 9-year warranty ($114/with tax & core charge). Tomorrow I'm taking the defective one back to Wal-Mart for a pro-rated refund starting November 2004. Oh, one of the store's personnel gave me a ride back. I'll tell ya, when this kind of nonsense happens I don't sweat it--There's nothing you can do about it except deal with it anyway. ;)

To paraphrase W.C. Fields, "Never trust a battery with two terminals."

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

To paraphrase W.C. Fields, "Never trust a battery with two terminals."

Well that was a streeeeeetch, but I'll let you have it. ;)

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Your attitiude about the whole situation is commendable! I quit getting worked up over stuff 3 years ago - I only work to change what I can and leave the rest alone - and my life (and those around me) is much more pleasant. Best thing I ever did.

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

"My Battery Fell Apart"

Was it *THIS* bad??

P5272000.preview.jpg

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

"My Battery Fell Apart"

Was it *THIS* bad??

I don't think anything could be that bad. :unsure: I'm not sure what I'm lookin at. Are those battery posts--or what's left of them? :blink:

I don't think anything could be that bad. :unsure: I'm not sure what I'm lookin at. Are those battery posts--or what's left of them? :blink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

See this post: http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=13519 .

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

never heard of one coming unglued like that before-had fits trying to find the problem when a terminal end rotted under the rubber where ya couldn't see it! no problem with it since that renewal............................................red

Mac, et all,

Regarding a battery's durability:

A number of years ago my wife (with a helping hand from our 2-year old), managed to trim a utility pole to half its width using the right-front fender of our '74 Malibu wagon. The end of the bumper was inside the battery when I got there and acid was every where. Yep, it started just fine - although I had to change the tire and the lower A-fram was a bit crumpled, (the rim was on the ground all the way home).

For a detailed (a bit wordy and a tad in depth perhaps) explanation of why a given component fails and another hangs on forever, please refer to the following link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty_principle ;)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

For a detailed explanation of why a given component fails and another hangs on forever, please refer to the following link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty_principle ;)

So the cat died? Or not?

And dammit, don't you say both!

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

GEL batteries?

I am confused, that picture is not a battery - right? - isn't it a alternater or starter armiture?

Yes, that is Cyr's starter

GEL batteries?

Optima

GEL batteries?

OPTIMA Red Top batteries are built to withstand the abuse Trucks, SUV's and 4x4's experience on and off-road. SPIRALCELL Technology immobilizes the internal components of the battery, enabling OPTIMA batteries to withstand incredible amounts of vibration

The sealed cells make the battery spill-proof, even if you install it on its side! This prevents external gassing and leaking

34R.jpg

Archived