CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

04 Grand Prix CompG

Still drive the 98 deville abit, and take car of it, coolant leak on the passenger side (radiator on that side is wet) leads me to believe the radiator is going. Not alot but always seem to drip once the car is off, first time there was a big puddle but the surge tank didn't show the need to add much coolant....I'll post more on that when I know more in the other sub-forum...

Going back and forth between the GP and Deville their is no comparison to be made, one is built to be a sports sedan... for speed, the other is a comfort first, with get up and go. The Deville is effortless to drive compared to the GP which gives you information back about every detail of the vehicle. Both, in my opinion, fill their niche well. Both have ample power.

Anyway the 04 Grand Prix, with the Competition Group package includes the following:

(one could say "its the Cadillac of Grand Prix's")

Powertrain:

3800 (3.8L) Series III Supercharged V6 (now an "exclusive" car engine for Pontiac)

Good for 270HP, 280ft-lbs of "locomotive low" torque as one auto mag put it.

Transmission is the sibling to the 4t80, its the 4t60. (one developed for 8 cylinder one for 6?)

Specific to the CompG Package:

Steering wheel TAP (touch activated power) Shifters, Magnasteer II, Stabiltrax Sport, Heads up display, performance tuned (stiff) suspension, 3.29:1 final drive, speed limited to 142mph with V-rated BFGoodrich Comp T/A low profile tires, RPO Code WS6.

There were under 20,000 CompG's sold in 2004, and before the GXP was introduced their were in total just over 35,000 sold, so its somewhat limited number when you consider 250,000 GP's were sold for the model years 04 and 05 .

I also got the press kit for when the car was introduced off ebay and with the websites I've found their is a bit of a following Grand Prix GTP and GTP Comp G cars.

She goes fast, much quicker than the Deville, lets you start in first gear with the T/C off so I can confirm it will smoke the tires all the way threw first and chirp shifting to 2nd :) I also love the sound of the SC whine and the engine as it revs up...but there still is no substitute for that Northstar howl. Heck one of the "aftermarket" add-ons to feed the SC more air is to use a northstar throttle body. With some exhuast and pulley changes the engine will comfortably get over 300hp...the tranny is indeed where you need to be careful as you add on.

For now, it in stock form is good, but CAI or exhaust ideas (specifically my resonator may be on the way out and I may just pipe it threw) will probibly happen at some point. Tires are probibly going to be the first thing to go, followed by brakes :)

I may not frequent the site as much but I will lend my hand when a 98 is in trouble, thanks to you all for your help and continued good debate, conversation, and expertise.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Yeah the saving has begun. The current tires "pass inspection" but have a bit of dry rot it looks like going on, dealer wont replace so I'm gonna have to fork it over myself (other than the faulty radio replacement dealer has been somewhat unwilling to change things since I forked over the cash).

There's being a fast driver and a reckless driver. I'm not reckless...and actually not fast all that much. Zipping around in rush hour traffic is not my thing, I just go with the flow and continue to try to avoid hitting or being hit. I do enjoy a back winding country road every once and awhile, something I have to admit the caddy's soft suspension made comfortable but not "entertaining".

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Archived