CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Radiator stop leak liquid?

I have a bottle of bars liquid radiator stop leak and I was wondering if it is the same as the regualr bars stop leak pellets that you put in the radiator hose. Do they do the same thing or do I need to go and get the actual pellets? It sounds like the stuff that I have is more for radiator specific leaks?

I would get the pellets. I used the pellets in my 84 suburban and haven't had a problem since.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

http://www.caddyinfo.com/howtosealant.htm

The GM coolant supplement pellets are made by the same company that markets the BarsLeak brand. The powdered BarsLeak gold is the same as the GM supplement. The BarsLeak in the jar with the brown liquid has the same material for sealant as the GM supplement but includes the soluable oil (brown liquid) to make it easier to pour in.

The water pump does not need any sort of lubricant....

There are other sorts of sealers and brands on the market. I personally only recommend the conventional BarsLeak, BarsLeak Gold or the GM coolant supplement based on the extremely successful testing I have done in the past with those products.

The ingredient in the coolant supplement is ground up ginger root and walnut shells. The fibers in the ginger root mat in a leak and swell when exposed to the air on the other side of the leak to seal it. The other sealers that use metallic components (

such as BarsLeak Liquid Aluminum or the Solder Seal sealant) are definitely NOT recommended. The GM sealant and/or the BarsLeak brand is better because of the ability of the sealant to seal any coolant seepages without doing any other harm to the system. The main focus of the recommendation to use the supplement is to

protect against any internal seepages that would put coolant into the oil and be invisible otherwise. The ground up ginger root has proven to be one of the best imaginable cooling system sealers through the process of elimination. It just works better

than anything else currently known and is basically harmless to the cooling system otherwise.

The use of cooling system sealers is widespread in the automotive industry and elsewhere. Most makers install the supplement at the factory. I have been told by reputable sources that even the cooling systems in nuclear submarines use the same "coolant supplement"

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Thanks Bruce. Did anybody catch that last little part about stop leak possibly being used on the cooling systems of a nuclear sub? I hope they arent having slow leak problems on the cooling system of the reactor : )

P.S. I feel like I have just been visited by the tooth fairy or santa when Bruce posts.

Edited by FlamingGoatBalls

Yes. The sealant tabs at the dealer parts counter are actually fairly reasonable also, around $3 as I recall.

Bruce

Oh hey, by the way. I bought my barsleak pellets at Walmart ;)

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Is this liquid what im looking for? Its all that any of the stores seem to have.

http://www.barsproducts.com/product.cfm?id=38

I prefer to use the powder product on that page. Two tubes.

Part Number: G12BP

Bottle Size: Net Wt. .75 oz. (21.5g)

Dosage: 1 (one) tube treats systems up to 3 (three) gallons

Case: Available by the blister card or 7 - .75 oz cards per case

case

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

:lol: They have a lot more than you think there!

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

• 14 years later...

Info from the Bars site:

If vehicle does not have a regular radiator cap, remove top hose where it attached to radiator and insert tablets in hose and then reinstall hose.

Use extreme caution; the cooling system is under pressure and is not safe to open when hot. 

If the hose is not properly disconnected and reconnected then the cooling system will not be able to maintain pressure, and engine damage can occur. 

For this application, the tablets are easier to apply than the liquid.   But I believe the mfr's instructions are to remove the upper hose, use a funnel with a tube attached, or other similar method, to pour the stop leak into the radiator, or into the hose connection, then reconnect the hose.  

Bruce

While I've never use stop leak in my STS, I would assume you could put the product in the over flow tank and run through some heat cycles.  I've found that the a/c delco tabs work quite well in another vehicle I've used them on.  Link:  Amazon.com: ACDelco GM Original Equipment 10-108 Cooling System Sealing Tabs - 4 g (Pack of 5): Automotive

p.s.  I yield to Bruce's advise about the radiator hose; that certainly would expedite product insertion. 

Edited by cdgrinci

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28