CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Owner Reviews

Bruce Nunnally

STSJoe sent me an email suggestion that I think is good, and that I think we can expand on. STSJoe suggests that

current Cadillac owners rent new Cadillacs and then write reviews on the new Cadillacs, discussing features, likes, dislikes, and driving impressions.

I suggest that we expand this suggestion to include:

• Write a formal review of your current Cadillac
  • Take a test drive of a new *or* used Cadillac, and write a formal review
  • Rent or borrow a friend's or neighbor's Cadillac and write a review

Review Notes:

Each review should have the word [Review] in the post title.

Note the year, model of the review

If it is NOT your current Cadillac, compare the reviewed Cadillac to your current Cadillac

Note if the review Cadillac is your car, or how you got to drive/review it

List features, like/dislikes, problems, just as you might find in a magazine review

List options on the reviewed Cadillac

Post at least one picture with the review.

If we get a few of these up, I will open a separate subforum for Review posts.

Other suggestions on things to be sure to include, or other items we should try to standardize in all the reviews are welcome.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I suggest we actually make this a subforum right from the get-go. It would probably encourage most posts and would keep it better organized.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

• 9 years later...

I have an 03 DTS in the last 5 months and 2500 miles The vehicle has 80,000 miles on it now. I have replaced one component after the other. From both coil packs to the blower motor  for the A/C only realizing that I also had to replace the Rheostat just because I flushed the cooling system and replaced the upper and lower hoses and Thermostat while i was flushing the system with a cleaner I had the Heat up to 90degrees and the blower on top speed for an hour The system came out clean as a whistle but it blew the Rheostat and when you change one you have to change the other otherwise you have no heat or A/C. I realize this car is 13 years old but it has been maintained to the best of my ability this car is getting to me. Drove it Today started it up now the air Bag light came on this car new had a $50,000 sticker on the window you have to be kidding me Cadillac General Motors it's over this is my Fourth Cadillac and my last There is a list of other components that I have changed in the last 5000 miles but I won't get into that. It's a Beautiful Automobile but it's beat me for the last time I'm running it into the ground. Quality my *smurf*!

F. Hanrahan   

Hanrahan, why did you change both coil packs?  Please provide more details from the symptom to the fix.  Who did the work?  What was the symptom.

You cited a rheostat, but it sounds like you are speaking about the actuator. As far as I know there is one rheostat that is located in the air box under the hood..  please provide more detail.

I dont know what you are talking about where you say "blower motor for the AC only" as there is only one blower motor.

Please ask questions BEFORE you perform a service item like flushing.  NEVER FLUSH THE NORTHSTAR ESPECIALLY USING A CHEMICAL!!  The reason is because you have now introduced minerals into the engine block that you can not drain out of the block.  In the future, all you need to do is drain and refill.  Because you are unable to get the coolant out of the engine, drain and refill on a 2 year schedule or sooner if you like, but NEVER flush.

It sounds to me that you replaced the blower motor in error so that is on you and not GM.  Parts replacing is not a good practice to diagnose problems, the electrical systems are complicated.  

As you say, it is 13 years old and that can weigh more heavily than the low mileage of 80,000 miles.

Your 2008 is harder to diagnose problems with that pre-2005 (?) that have the user accessible diagnostic system.  What code reader are you using to extract P codes and especially B or body codes, without the proper diagnotic equipment you are flying in the dark and unable to properly diagnose problems.  Simple code readers ONLY read P or powertrain codes, there are a whole slew of systems those readers don't see and in order to properly diagnose them you need the proper reader, otherwise you are guessing.

The airbag system may just be a corroded connection.  It could be something VERY simple.  If I were you I would find a shop with the proper equipment like Tech2 and who are familiar with the Cadillac.  

I hear your frustration, but the days of diagnosing problems without proper equipment and expertise are gone.  I recently went nuts diagnosing a security no start condition on  02 monte carlo not being able to get to the B codes. 

If you do your own work you should also own the factory service manual it will help you to understand the systems.

At 13 years, and from cold winters and hot summers grease in everything will become deteriorated and replacements can be expected, mileage is not the only determining factor.  Not to mention that corrosion on relays, fuses and connectors will cause you fits.   Where do you live, corrosion is especially bad in humid climates like Florida and the like. 

Even the multi-billion space shuttle was grounded due to sensor anomalies for days and it was renovated before each flight and had a team of engineers.  

Please let us know if we can help.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived