coolnesss

How Often Do You Check Your Codes  

89 members have voted

1. 1. How obsessive are we?

• Daily
    • Weekly
    • Monthly
    • Once in a while
    • Whenever the car hiccups (any little irregularity)
    • Whenever the car malfunctions
    • I've checked only a few times
    • I've never checked
    • I don't know how
    • Only my hairdresser knows for sure

good poll.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

No choice for, "Whenever I see the CEL"... that's what I do.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Wow, you are lucky, mine has come on for EGR, ISS, TB Idle issues, suspension problems, etc. Once the light flashes, I know that a CODE has set.

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Perhaps "whenever the car malfunctions" would logically include anytime the check engine light came on.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I wash the car each weekend and check codes while waiting on line at the (brushless) car wash. Yes, I'm anal.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I wash the car each weekend and check codes while waiting on line at the (brushless) car wash. Yes, I'm anal.

Regards,

Warren

I check 'em in the brushless wash too. Well, and whenever my P036 flares up (gotta get on that one of these days!)

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

Perhaps "whenever the car malfunctions" would logically include anytime the check engine light came on.

Good Idea Bruce, I just cast my vote using that category, Thanks

can I have a custom option for anytime I remove the air box and forget to plug in that sensor?

Its nice to be able to plug it back in, then clear the code and get the light to turn off :) Funniest part is that I always tell myself to remember to plug the SOB back in...but 4 out of 5 times I forget :P

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

I had a guy at work who turns "artisan" bowls on his lathe make be a plug for the resonator... Out of a piece of scrap cherry wood... Now I can check my tranny fluid with ease..

Looks Cool too...

He completely freaked when I painted it flat black :ph34r:

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Just last week I check the codes on my 13 year old, 27,000 mile allante for the first time. The amount of information that showed up on the screen was pretty cool. The best part was, there was no codes for a 13 year old cadillac. You gotta like that.

• 1 month later...

Just last week I check the codes on my 13 year old, 27,000 mile allante for the first time. The amount of information that showed up on the screen was pretty cool. The best part was, there was no codes for a 13 year old cadillac. You gotta like that.

Looks like you drive her only to the state inspection place. :D

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Interesting poll.

I thought the codes would show up at least once or for a while.

However, I have never had any since I began driving it around 82,000-miles.

The Big Red Dog is at 193,000+ miles, still as stout as ever and and I run it as hard as I dare (and that she who must be obeyed allows).

When (if) it breaks, it gonna be a good 'un.

Cheers, :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Well last evening I enjoyed the first code I've seen on the current vehicle. It was P0440 (Check EVAP System), but I didn't even have to look it up.

The SES light came on and the DIC displayed "CHECK GAS CAP." I tightened the gas cap at my next stop and drove away codeless. Nice! Any other car and I'd have planned a stop at the service station. Lord only knows how long it might have taken to "fix" it. :P

Oh, and no talk about who left the gas cap loose . . . . . :lol:

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

As far as I know, there is no way to check codes on an '06 DTS without buying a code reader, which I am thinking about doing.

If I had a code reader, I would probably be in the weekly catagory. I am pretty particular about my Cadillac.

Posted Image

As far as I know, there is no way to check codes on an '06 DTS without buying a code reader, which I am thinking about doing.

It's very disappointing to hear that.

Nearly a year ago an auto tech told me the new Mercedes' didn't even have an oil dipstick; you had to go to the dealer to have your car's computer reveal to the dealership your current oil level. Can that be true? A little hard to believe.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

I only check the codes when there is an obvious problem. There are several rear suspension codes that always show up but everything seems to work just fine. The rear end responds and levels accordingly. At this point in the game I'm only going to chase after the large undeniable codes. Haven't had one of those in awhile. Cheers!

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

The SES light came on and the DIC displayed "CHECK GAS CAP." I tightened the gas cap at my next stop and drove away codeless. Nice! Any other car and I'd have planned a stop at the service station. Lord only knows how long it might have taken to "fix" it. :P

Oh, and no talk about who left the gas cap loose . . . . . :lol:

Regards,

Warren

Warren:

Knowing me, the answer to your questions would have been, respectively:

[1] Me performing a simple CHECK of the gas cap (yeah, it's there, WTF??!!), and

[2] The wife/girlfriend/significant other did it.

Gotta love the codes/messgaes, eh?!

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

• 4 weeks later...

Knowing me, the answer to your questions would have been, respectively:

[1] Me performing a simple CHECK of the gas cap (yeah, it's there, WTF??!!), and

[2] The wife/girlfriend/significant other did it.

Gotta love the codes/messgaes, eh?!

You have a wife, a girlfriend, *and* a signifigant other?

You have far greater things to worry about my brother! :o

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

• 2 months later...
why?

when there is a CODE, it simply comes up on the D.I.C

I always thought that when there is a problem the code will appear on the info screen, (I have a 1997 Deville Concours), should I be doing something other to find codes?

why?

when there is a CODE, it simply comes up on the D.I.C

I always thought that when there is a problem the code will appear on the info screen, (I have a 1997 Deville Concours), should I be doing something

other to find codes?

No and yes. The DIC will display messages related to stuff that requires your immediate attention, e.g. CHECK OIL LEVEL, STOP ENGINE NOW etc.

Otherwise, it will illuminate the SES (Service Engine Soon) lamp. At this point owners of ordinary cars will make a trip to the shop to find out why

the lamp is lit. Incidentally, the lamp is more properly known as the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) as it reports on far more systems than just the

engine.

Cadillac owners, on the other hand, can use the Climate Control panel to interrogate the computer to discover and display what codes are "set."

A trip to the shop can thereby be avoided.

Cadillac Self-Diagnostic Information can be found here: http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/cadidiag.html .

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Archived