coolnesss

How Often Do You Check Your Codes  

89 members have voted

1. 1. How obsessive are we?

• Daily
    • Weekly
    • Monthly
    • Once in a while
    • Whenever the car hiccups (any little irregularity)
    • Whenever the car malfunctions
    • I've checked only a few times
    • I've never checked
    • I don't know how
    • Only my hairdresser knows for sure

hey guys, excuse me but how do I check the codes on a 1994 seville SLS, I could not get the search to work for some reason, when I start the car it says {All Systems OK} so why would I check them,?

if I am missing something here please help this caddy newbie out, also I took you guys advice and the the belt is brand new and the cooling system is clean as a whistle the oil has 1500 on it.

Also I have noticed alot of people talking about the NorthStar running hot, my SLS has not run hotter than 208 in town I sat at the light from hell the other day and it hit 217 but it whent back to 207-208 after I got going, this is with no AC running, on the hi-way it runs 203 and with the air on it ran at

199-207 that surprised me because I thought the AC would make it run hotter ? do you think its reading it right. ALSO one more Question, where do you suggest I go to buy New Mufflers and the " Y "

pipe ? I dont want to spend a lot of money...just want them to look good and shiney, and I dont have time to sand the ones that are stock and paint, she has a nice purr right now so something cheap in price but not in quality would be great, with the hi-way driving it stays at around 203 Temp running at 75 to 80 MPH, I detailed the hell out of this car again just this last Sat. and put her in the garage its funny my wife ask me why i bought the Car because she looks so good I am afraid to Drive her

Thanks for the Info Guys.

post-6607-1185887364_thumb.jpg

hey guys, excuse me but how do I check the codes on a 1994 seville SLS . . . . and with the air on it ran at

199-207 that surprised me because I thought the AC would make it run hotter ? do you think its reading it right.

In post #25 you will find a link that will help you with DIC (Driver Information Center) codes. Just back up and select your model year.

With the A/C off your radiator cooling fans do not engage until the coolant temperature reaches 225 degrees. With the A/C on, however, the radiator cooling fans come on immediately without regard to coolant temperature. That's why coolant temperatures seem a little strange when you compare A/C ON to A/C OFF conditions.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Not all DTC's will result in the MIL being turned on. Only the emissions-related DTCs turn on the MIL. Many will have a message associated with them, such as "Stability reduced, speed limited to 90 mph" or "Theft problem, car may not restart." But there are a lot of codes that don't turn on the MIL or put a message up on the DIC such as network message loss, power seat sensor failures, etc. These status codes are intended for documenting status, diagnosis and verification of repairs, and are there for the Tech II or other scan tool, or for the knowledgeable Cadillac owner.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• 2 months later...

Generally simply disconnecting the battery will not clear DTCs. Some DTCs are automatically cleared by the system after a certain number of successful starts with no current issues, or other clear conditions.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

In fact, disconnecting the battery will actually generate codes . . . .

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

It's funny...I just learned how to do it last week and I've probably checked my codes 10 times. More so than anything I've learned a tremendous amount of information about my car checking those codes

Archived