CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

PC is crashing...what to do?

Fisher didn't mention to you that I have 3 vid cards and 2 usb hubs for starters. That'll eat up 15 IRQs in a hurry. And by the way, I'm probably one of the few people that really liked Win ME. ME had monster drivers and was very stable once all the updates were in place and the proper drivers used. Loved it for gaming (at the time). Too bad it couldn't tell the difference between 64mb of ram and 512 (just like it predecessors) and utilize the extra ram better.

I'm glad you got things straightened out. Now let's talk about high speed connections. This old rig just sent a 16mb file to Florida from NY at 8.9mbps and received at 1.72mbps..... yeeeehawwww! lol

Good Lord Regis, what do you do with that monster? Are you plannig on taking over the world?!?! :blink::lol:

Talk's cheap, let's see that screenshot...so I'll know what to put in my next PC. ;):lol:

My downloads are slow as molasses. I'm looking for another DSL provider actually

That must have been my problem with ME then; improper drivers. I kept it updated (I thought). I spent DAYS on end it seems on the phone with tech support. Did yours ever crash and did you ever get those Kernel32.dll errors? Let's not talk about ME anymore, bad memories and makes my head hurt.

Btw, Thanks for helping me with my pc woes! Could you guys help me pick out my components for my next rig maybe? I'm pretty excited to try it myself. Won't be till next spring at the earliest.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure we can help you pick out components. But don't get too worked up about this or that until you're about a month away from making the purchase. Things change in a heart beat. I can hardly wait til the solid state PCs roll out.

Well I won't be posting a screen shot of the goodies since for the past two days I've been overhauling the desktop. My wife has been bugging me about dumping the 2 side screens. She got her wish. This is what I dumped: 2 vid cards and monitors, v92 modem, and SB sound card. The rig just went from 49.5 lbs to 48.4 lbs. She's getting lighter. One day she'll make a solid door stop or a boat anchor. lol

If you really want to see everything then I guess I could lay it all out with the computer case open and take a digital pic. If you're into that sort of thing. But my real pride and joy is my 4" custom (all metal) side fan. Works off of a toggle switch and pushes air at 65cf/m. I guess that pushes the total case weight well over the 50lbs mark. So much for slimming down eh? lol

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Thanks, that would be great!

Yea, let's see some pics when you get a chance. 50lbs - Wow! I've gotta see it!

I was planning on doing just that, waiting till I was ready to buy. In the meantime, I hope to learn more at that site you recommended. What do you think of Vista?

Regis, high speed, I am ordering Verizon FIOS next week! Can't wait! We will have to do some head to head gaming!

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

We are using Verizon FIOS and FIOS TV with great success so far. No down time yet and much improved speed.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Fisher (you know I'm going to shorten it to "fish" soon lol),

I play on the laptop when I feel the need to win. But I still mostly play on the desktop because of the comfort. Laptops are just too crampy for gaming. Nothing like having a mouse in each hand when playing. That didn't sound right did it? LOL Anyways......you know I've been reduced to playing stick arena. Quick 5 minute session.....then back to the wife....then another 5 minute session. I don't have the time anymore to commit to a "real" game..... not without getting into trouble at least. Ugh! But I'll make time to rumble.

Bruce,

How do you like FIOS tv? We were supposed to have it last year but Time Warner threw road blocks in the way so it won't be available until this upcoming year. I'm excited that Time Warner has stiff competition finally. They've been price gouging this area for a long time. TW's digital phone echos and isn't even close to FIOS clarity. Our Road Runner and cable would go down at least once a month, every month. Haven't had an issue with FIOS. We lost power a few days ago for 4 hours but the FIOS phone worked like a charm. Did you know that the President of ComCast has FIOS service in his house? Pretty funny and it says something.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

We like FIOS TV. Our cable set top box in one room was poor and the cable company was no help. We would lose signal if it rained and have to wait for the index to update etc. The Fios info screens are faster, and my Wife feels the picture is better.

The service has been steady, although having TV and the internet and the phone all in one basket seems more risky. The channel selection is equivalent, but we added some military channels I enjoy, and save around $20 a month compared with our previous cable bill even after adding one more set-top box than before. My Wife wishes we would add a DVR box, but I have resisted so far.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Bruce, get the DVR and you'll never look back. I couldn't live without it now. Watch your favorite shows when you want to, not when they're broadcasted and never miss a show. The recurring timers are easy to set-up. The live pause and replay is awesome. I find myself wanting to rewind real life occurances, forgetting it's not TV. :lol:

I just checked the Verizon website, FIOS may not be in my area yet. :( Said to call. I have DISH and love it, but this AT&T/Yahoo DSL is too slow.

FIOS may not be available in your area but don't forget that Verizon has many different speed packages of DSL. Starting price for DSL here is $15 (wow) a month on up.

"Burns" rubber

Yes, I've been meaning to call them about their DSL and keep forgetting. Their website doesn't show anything available here locally. I've never heard of FIOS before...looks awesome! Maybe I'll ante up for the faster DSL w/ AT&T, but I'd prefer to get away from AT&T altogether...

DSL seems alot more reliable to me but cable is alot faster here

I'm at 11.5M in but only 1M out which makes large FTP uploads a nightmare.. still, the fastest DSL available here is 1.5M up and down for the same price so I'd lose 10M of download speed and only gain 512 on the upside,

Still 512 extra upload speed would be a significant 50%

Eventually I won't have a choice but to have at least a T3 but it won't be in this area. Everything costs twice as much here. If I want T1 (slow) or T3 (very quick) it is $850 extra per month for the... I forget the name of it, I call it the drop..

But I think in Dallas or OKC I could get a T3 for around $1000 per month with everything

By the way, cable connections slow down on peak because it is a shared connection- with DSL you get a dedicated line. I do almost everything while normal people are asleep so it is alright.

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

FIOS may not be available in your area but don't forget that Verizon has many different speed packages of DSL. Starting price for DSL here is $15 (wow) a month on up.

We had Cablevision Optonline and the speed was good 700,000 to 1,000,000 which was quick. We just don like Cablevision as a company for a LOT of reasons (beginning with telling their Channel 12 news anchors to remove the American Flag off their lapels a week after 9/11), so we went to Verizon DSL. We took a package that was similar in speed to the Optonline that we had. Well, it was a disaster, we were getting disconnects and we were not receiving 700,000 but more like 300,000 because the wires between us and the central office were old and antiquated only allowing 300,000, and the wires were unable to handle speeds above that without connection problems and drops. You have to be careful with DSL, and you may not know you have a problem with speed until its installed.

We kept the DSL as we knew that FIOS was coming, and now that its here, it's time to convert. I have my house 100% wired with Cat5E and fiberoptics so the conversion will be easy. Some day I will probably have fiber-optic routers.

The distribution box below handles phone, TV cable, Network, Alarm and Central Antenna. That was my project when the renovation was done (pulling cables is hard work ugh). Those yellow cables I pulled to each room during the renovation contain 2 Cat5E, 2 COAX Cable and 2 Fiber-optic so it makes wiring the house very easy now and I have a lot of flexibility. High Speed Wireless probably will be king one day and all of my work will have been done for nothing, but its a beautiful thing now. One of these days those three routers will be replaced with an 8 port wireless switch router, my existing configuration is too complex.

Every time a tech from Verizon or Cablevision sees that box their mouth drops. The Verizon tech said he can't wait to wire my house for FIOS it will be so easy, I even ran two CAT5E to the outside network box.

Here is what I alluded to above regarding the American Flag on Channel 12 News so Cablevision to go to H*** as far as I am concerned:

New York's Cable News Channel 12 banned the American flag from its news programming, saying, "We have to avoid giving a false impression that we lean one way or the other." You see, it's not just appearances we're talking about. If leaning toward the United States would give "a false impression," that means they actually aren't on America's side. Incredible.

See it here:

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=24752

post-2998-1164195986.jpg

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I'm at 11.5M in but only 1M out which makes large FTP uploads a nightmare.. still, the fastest DSL available here is 1.5M up and down for the same price so I'd lose 10M of download speed and only gain 512 on the upside,

There is a reason why DSL "seems more reliable". It's a dedicated line (to the nearest station)versus cable which is a shared line from beginning to end. Your ISP (cable) may tout that you're on a 11.5mbps line but actual speed will be a mere fraction because of sharing. Actual speed will always be lower than the sold theoretical speed. When I was on RR cable I used to laugh when they would tell me I had 1mbps Upload/ 10mbps Download. They left out the part where I was sharing it with 100-500 other users. I'll assume you have a "single line" cable setup (common)since your upload/download are vastly different from one another. If it is then the rule applies that "Your upload speed is determined by another user's (on your line) download speed and vice versa." The good news is that with all the different ways to connect and isp companies competing, it benefits us consumers. And that's the best part.

Good grief Charlie Brown! Fisher...........now that's an impressive setup.

"Burns" rubber

There is a reason why DSL "seems more reliable". It's a dedicated line (to the nearest station)versus cable which is a shared line from beginning to end. Your ISP (cable) may tout that you're on a 11.5mbps line but actual speed will be a mere fraction because of sharing. Actual speed will always be lower than the sold theoretical speed. When I was on RR cable I used to laugh when they would tell me I had 1mbps Upload/ 10mbps Download. They left out the part where I was sharing it with 100-500 other users. I'll assume you have a "single line" cable setup (common)since your upload/download are vastly different from one another. If it is then the rule applies that "Your upload speed is determined by another user's (on your line) download speed and vice versa." The good news is that with all the different ways to connect and isp companies competing, it benefits us consumers. And that's the best part.

Good grief Charlie Brown! Fisher...........now that's an impressive setup.

When we first got cable years ago it was RR and it wasn't capped.. that and very few people on this cluster or whatever you call it had cable so I could easily max everything out,

But try finding a server to download from at 10M back then - some web servers weren't even that fast :lol:

Now we're capped, it's over sold ... I can get a good solid 10M down off peak

I think my DSL connex was so darned reliable because I was only supposedly 2500 cable feet out

It sure will be good to have a T3.. if I was in a decent area I bet I could get one for a thousand or so per month by now,

That sucker would pay for itself and then some!

A loop not a drop sorry I just call it the drop

What in the heck, a T3 costs over $5000/mo

Darn I thought they'd come down by now

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

I doubt many (if any) open websites, even today, will put out a baud rate anywhere near 10mbps transfer rate per user for obvious reasons. Media phone's website had the highest baud rate at the time at 1mbps downloadable speed. You could DL their 10mb phone pack and it was a fairly accurate way to test your speed. By the way there is no such thing as "running uncapped". Any line comes with speed limits whether because of hardware or software. If you are the only user online on your shared cable then it probably seems like you're moving at warp speed. But there is a definite ceiling to that speed.

"Burns" rubber

I doubt many (if any) open websites, even today, will put out a baud rate anywhere near 10mbps transfer rate per user for obvious reasons. Media phone's website had the highest baud rate at the time at 1mbps downloadable speed. You could DL their 10mb phone pack and it was a fairly accurate way to test your speed. By the way there is no such thing as "running uncapped". Any line comes with speed limits whether because of hardware or software. If you are the only user online on your shared cable then it probably seems like you're moving at warp speed. But there is a definite ceiling to that speed.

I meant before it was capped to a set amt. of bandwidth per user.

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

Archived