CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

PC is crashing...what to do?

I have a Compaq 7110 US 1.3 Ghz AMD Athlon w/ XP desktop that is crashing. It has crashed atleast 6 times and twice I had the blue screen that said: A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your PC. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The Microsoft Online Crash Analysis said system has recovered from a serious error. Error caused by device driver. A device driver installed on your computer caused the windows operating system to stop unexpectedly, this type of error is referred to as a "stop error". Another time the Crash analysis said something about it could be bad ram, hard drive, power supply and a couple other things....can't recall. The crash analysis has never said 'definitively' what is causing this.

When it crashes, there have been times when there are no programs running, and it will just stop abruptly and restart. Sometimes it will do the check disk before windows restarts. Other times it will stay on for a few days before crashing. Every time I do a virus scan with AVG, it will crash half way through, maybe when it accesses what is bad or corrupted???

I leave the pc on all the time and primarily use it as a printer network hub (3 printers) for my 2 laptops. I haven't used it lately (since last January) and haven't added any devices or made any changes since then. I tried to do a restore to an earlier date and it wouldn't let me..I tried all the dates available. I also did an check disk for errors. This started around 6 weeks ago I'd guess.

I would just scrap it as it needs a new video card still and is outdated, but it has 2 hard drives (220 gigs), a DVD reader and a DVD burner, and 640 MB ram.

Could a virus cause this? Any thoughts what could be the problem or how to trouble shoot it would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I personally would start with a small diagnostic check of a couple things, I would first run Memtest86, you can download it and burn the image to a cd. As well as IBM'S DFT, This will test your memory and hard drive. If either report failures please post them. Next I would try to run an online scan for viruses just to see if there is anything in there I would use the free online scanner at Ewido. From there if the hard drive and memory pass, as well as no major infections I would update my drivers through Compaq’s website, and also run windows updates to ensure im completely up to date. Just a few other things to better help you, have you recently installed any new Software/Drivers? Also when running DFT if you get any code at the end of the test other than 0x00 then your drive will most likely need to be replaced and be sure to run the advanced test. With memtest you just don’t want to see any red on the lower half of the screen and should let it run to at least 2 passes. Try this and post what happens and I can try to better assist you.

I do pc support for a major US bank that has a lot of Compaq's. I agree with running MEMTEST. If it is rebooting instead of locking up, there is a very good chance it is a memory problem. That would also explain why you can't do a restore.

Posted Image

If your BIOS has a hardware montior feature that allows you to check CPU temperature, do that the next time it reboots. If the CPU temperature is more than 10 or 15 degrees F above room temperature, your CPU fan has quit. You can get another at CompUSA or other similar computer store. Just be sure that you know what your CPU is, exactly.

Sudden RAM errors after a computer is several years old can be caused by clogged fan screens. Clear all the screens and make sure that the fans in your case and power supply are working OK. If you find something, you can get another case fan or power supply from CompuUSA or other computer store.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thanks fellas! I will download those programs and start doing those 3 tests and will also check my fans and report back. I cleaned the outside of the vent holes, but I will take my access panel off and look inside. Might be time to vacuum it out anyhow. Don't worry, I have a grounded vac for pc's, similiar to the 3M one. I haven't installed any new software or devices lately. When you say memory problems, are you saying that the RAM chips may need to be replaced? Hopefully I can find my old RAM and reinstall those and see if it still crashes. I hope it's something simple.

I don't know why I am even reading this post, because I know jack about computers and most of what has been posted is Greek to me, but now that you mention it, mine crashed the other week and I opened it up and vacuumed it out and walla, it worked. I remember the same thing happening with the same fix and outcome a year or so ago. There is something to be said for a good vacuuming.

I'm at the Memtest site. Do I want to download the Memtest86 v3.2 ISO image (zip)? There are a few to choose from. Then download the winima80.exe to unzip the file? http://www.winimage.com/download.htm

After opening that zip file, do I THEN burn it to a CD and then run that CD on the bad pc?

That is one of the most frustrating horrible errors known to man..

It's usually going to either be a memory or video card problem....

As someone mentioned - test the hell out of your memory..

And you had said you might need a new video card..

Why do you think you need a new one?

I ask because of what I mentioned.. it's usually video or memory

So if you're having video problems too.. blam it is the card or driver

The CPU overheating could be the culprit but.. I doubt it

Mine turned out to be my video card drivers..

I updated the stupid drivers and all was well and everything was fine

That was after ALOT OF FRUSTRATION

Give the machine a good cleaning too.

You can use those drives of yours in a new machine in most cases.

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

I'm at the Memtest site. Do I want to download the Memtest86 v3.2 ISO image (zip)? There are a few to choose from. Then download the winima80.exe to unzip the file? http://www.winimage.com/download.htm

After opening that zip file, do I THEN burn it to a CD and then run that CD on the bad pc?

You are at the wrong place. You need to be HERE http://www.memtest86.com/#download0 Download the MEMTEST86 v3.2 ISO Image file. Put it in a folder ... double click on it to extract the ISO image.

I just downloaded it and unzipped it. The ISO file is less than 2 meg. I can e-mail it to you, if that would help.

The ZIP file is only 39 K. It would e-mail easy.

Posted Image

Kim I was going to suggest some ideas but it looks like the guys have covered all of the things I was going to suggest. I was thinking a memory problem, over heating (bad cooling fan/dust) or a bad driver.

Try removing and reinstalling your RAM and CPU.

Make sure you have all operating system updates. You should be running Service Pack 2 for Windows XP. I had this happen on an early XP machine with the Intel 815 or 820 chipset. Make sure you have current video drivers, chipset drivers, etc.

Good Luck, Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

My desktop pc monitor is dark. The colors look neon, and the screen is very dark w/ lines through it. I swapped out monitors with a known good monitor, and same thing...dark. Both monitors look fine on the other desktop pc. It's been like that for almost a year now, and it's just now starting to crash. I was going to replace the video card last winter, but I bought 2 laptops since, so I hardly ever use the desktop anymore...the poor desktop was put on the back-burner. But now with it crashing, I'm worried I'll lose my printing network. I will try reseating the video card too once I open it up to vacuum.

Kim I was going to suggest some ideas but it looks like the guys have covered all of the things I was going to suggest. I was thinking a memory problem, over heating (bad cooling fan/dust) or a bad driver.

Make sure you have all operating system updates. You should be running Service Pack 2 for Windows XP. I had this happen on an early XP machine with the Intel 815 or 820 chipset. Make sure you have current video drivers, chipset drivers, etc.

Good Luck, Mike

If you remove and reinstall your chip or memory,

Be careful!

They're delicate and sensitive to static electricity (it can fry them)..

Pressing down too hard can damage the board and/or the cpu

Your AMD CPU will burn itself to death in a heartbeat if the heatsink isn't on there just right..

I would know as I use to always buy 1333 Thunderbird CPUs and burn them up

(They burn up so easily, that, one time I punched my computer AFTER powering it down and the cpu still fried.. I use to punch my computers and have to replace components often)

My desktop pc monitor is dark. The colors look neon, and the screen is very dark w/ lines through it. I swapped out monitors with a known good monitor, and same thing...dark. Both monitors look fine on the other desktop pc. It's been like that for almost a year now, and it's just now starting to crash. I was going to replace the video card last winter, but I bought 2 laptops since, so I hardly ever use the desktop anymore...the poor desktop was put on the back-burner. But now with it crashing, I'm worried I'll lose my printing network. I will try reseating the video card too once I open it up to vacuum.

Have you checked the connector on the card?

If there is a bad pin or a broken solder point I bet it'd cause those symptoms..

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

You are at the wrong place. You need to be HERE http://www.memtest86.com/#download0 Download the MEMTEST86 v3.2 ISO Image file. Put it in a folder ... double click on it to extract the ISO image.

I just downloaded it and unzipped it. The ISO file is less than 2 meg. I can e-mail it to you, if that would help.

The ZIP file is only 39 K. It would e-mail easy.

Thanks Jim! I already downloaded the zip file though. The winimage link above (http://www.winimage.com/download.htm) was a site my pc recommended I go to to get an unzipper to unzip the memtest. Does that make sense?

So do I unzip it, then put it on CD and then run that CD on the bad PC?

You might try booting in safe mode. See if the video will work then. "AFTER" reseating it and if it doesn't work in normal mode. Safe mode only loads minimal drivers. It could also be just a bad video card. Video drivers and bad video cards will do REAL STRANGE things. :) If you are using XP ... after your first bootup splash screen .... hold down the CONTROL KEY. It will then give you a boot menu. Choose SAFE MODE. Let us know what happens.

Posted Image

http://www.tomshardware.com/2001/09/17/hot_spot/page6.html

Links to the video are called:

"Download Divx 4.01 Codecs and Players (700 kB)

Download THG-Test-Video, 352 x 288, 02:20 Minutes (9 MB) Server I"

Or this might work

http://www12.tomshardware.com/images/thg_v...cpu_cooling.zip

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

Good Luck, Mike

Thanks Mike, Yes, I'm running Service Pack 2. I updated the video drivers last December. Do I need to do it again possibly. I will R/R the RAM and video card, once I open it up to vacuum. Not sure how to R/R the CPU though. Never done that. I'm no techie, as you already know.

I'd like to send it to you and have you salvage what you can and build me another. Now is not a good time though, funds wise.

If it is running ... probably no reason whatever to remove the CPU. It would need to be cleaned and new thermal grease applied before you put it back in. The Winamage file is not the MEMTEST file. Two totally different programs.

The MEMTEST file http://www.memtest86.com/#download0 at this URL is a normal zip file and if you are running XP, ZIP extraction is built in. (I think.) When you double click on it it extracts to an ISO file. If you have a burner program ... you should be able to just double click on the ISO file and it will open your burner program for you.

Memtest is just as the name implies ... it tests your memory in the computer.

Yo can get a free version of WINZIP at http://www.winzip.com/ . After you have the ISO file, burn it to a cd and run the cd on the bad computer.

Posted Image

If it is running ... probably no reason whatever to remove the CPU. It would need to be cleaned and new thermal grease applied before you put it back in. The Winamage file is not the MEMTEST file. Two totally different programs.

The MEMTEST file http://www.memtest86.com/#download0 at this URL is a normal zip file and if you are running XP, ZIP extraction is built in. (I think.) When you double click on it it extracts to an ISO file. If you have a burner program ... you should be able to just double click on the ISO file and it will open your burner program for you.

I downloaded the memtest zip file, but when I double clicked on it, I was prompted to download the winima file to unzip it. So apparently there was no unzipper on this pc. Well now I have a file on my desktop that says "BOOT". Is that the memtest?

What's another zip extractor? I'm having problems with this winima crap! :angry: I uninstalled it. I have one on my desktop that works good, can't recall the name.

When I double click the "BOOT" file, the winima came up and just a blank sceen.

Yo can get a free version of WINZIP at http://www.winzip.com/ . After you have the ISO file, burn it to a cd and run the cd on the bad computer.

That's it....winzip. Thanks!

I downloaded the memtest zip file, but when I double clicked on it, I was prompted to download the winima file to unzip it. So apparently there was no unzipper on this pc. Well now I have a file on my desktop that says "BOOT". Is that the memtest?

What's another zip extractor? I'm having problems with this winima crap! :angry: I uninstalled it. I have one on my desktop that works good, can't recall the name.

May I e--mail you the complete MEMTEST ISO file? It is less than 2 meg. Wouldn't take a half minute to send it to you but I did not want to send you an attachment without your permission. Then all you have to do is burn it and run it on the bad PC.

Posted Image

May I e--mail you the complete MEMTEST ISO file? It is less than 2 meg. Wouldn't take a half minute to send it to you but I did not want to send you an attachment without your permission. Then all you have to do is burn it and run it on the bad PC.

Thanks, but I have the ISO file now. I will burn it and see.

Ok, I have it on CD, put it in the bad pc, and when I click on it, my DVD Decrypter program comes up (that's the program I normally use for burning DVD's that are ISO files). So I go to "open with", what program should I use to open this file you think?

What a piece of crap that winima was. Wasted an hour and a half of my life.

Good Luck, Mike

Thanks Mike, Yes, I'm running Service Pack 2. I updated the video drivers last December. Do I need to do it again possibly. I will R/R the RAM and video card, once I open it up to vacuum. Not sure how to R/R the CPU though. Never done that. I'm no techie, as you already know.

I'd like to send it to you and have you salvage what you can and build me another. Now is not a good time though, funds wise.

Kim, see this article, they are talking about an overheating CPU or bad RAM:

http://www.tweaksforgeeks.com/IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.html

Does your CPU have a cooling fan on it? Check to see if it or the heat sink is clogged with dust/dirt. IF you take the cooling fan off you will disturb the thermal grease. You can buy new thermal grease from CompUSA or Radio Shack. You will need to reapply it. Check to see if the fan is running strong. I find that the fans slow down from dust and dirt and at times the motor will need a drop of oil. I have an oiler with a needle tip for that purpose. You might be able to buy a new cooling fan for your CPU...

Also, check your BIOS, some BIOS will provide the CPU temp or you may have an app that will tell you the CPU temp. I vacuum the inside of my machine at least twice a year paying particular attention to the fans. Check to see if your video card has a cooling fan on its processor mine stopped and I needed to clean it, its an NVIDIA GeForce 4 I think with a dual head. Good Luck, Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Good Luck, Mike

Kim, see this article, they are talking about an overheating CPU or bad RAM:

http://www.tweaksforgeeks.com/IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.html

Does your CPU have a cooling fan on it? Check to see if it or the heat sink is clogged with dust/dirt. IF you talk the cooling fan off you will disturb the thermal grease. You can buy new thermal grease from CompUSA or Radio Shack. You will need to reapply it. Check to see if the fan is running strong. I find that the fans slow down from dust and dirt and at times the motor will need a drop of oil. I have an oiler with a needle tip for that purpose. You might be able to buy a new cooling fan for your CPU...

Also, check your BIOS, some BIOS will provide the CPU temp or you may have an app that will tell you the CPU temp. I vacuum the inside of my machine at least twice a year paying particular attention to the fans. Check to see if your video card has a cooling fan on its processor mine stopped and I needed to clean it, its an NVIDIA GeForce 4 I think with a dual head. Good Luck, Mike

Thanks Mike.

Here'a quote from that site: "Sadly enough, every time I've run into it it's been a hardware error. Most commonly it is the CPU overheating. A close second would be bad RAM. The first thing I would do if you have this issue is to run the machine till it gives you that error, then immediately reboot it, go into the BIOS and check the CPU temperature. 3/5 times it will be way too hot. Go to the store, buy a fancy new heatsink with a ball bearing fan (don't need it binding like a bushing fan will eventually do), pick up some thermal grease while you're at it, and install. Your problem will likely go away."

So how do I go into BIOS to check the temperature? What is BIOS anyhow? Thanks!

Archived