CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Transmission dipstick location '96 SLS?

The_Raven

Howyadoin,

My transmission has been acting up lately, occasionally throwing code PC0741, but no apparent impact on drivability, until this morning.

I headed out to work, keeping the transmission in "3" to avoid getting another code. When I got to the highway, I tried dropping into overdrive, but the transmission stayed in 3rd gear (~2750 RPM at 60 MPH). I tried dropping to "3" then back to "D", but the transmission didn't engage until I slowed down to where 2nd gear would engage.

I want to have a look at the transmission fluid level and condition, but I'll be dipped if I can remember where the dipstick is! I don't have my owners manual with me.

This is on a '96 SLS, LD8 Northstar.

Thanks!

-Rav

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

"Refined Sugar" - '96 SLS, 175K

"...the Caddy is dedicated to relentlessly -- and comfortably -- converting time into distance." -J.J. Gertler

It is buried in the engine compartment. When standing in front of the car, it is to the left and lower than the air cleaner box - right on top of the trans. side pan.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Should be under the air box / flex connector, you will see a round cap.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Howyadoin,

Yep, found it, thanks! That's the only good news... The fluid level is good (checked in Park, engine idling, the fluid color is good, but the transmission is not going into 3rd now, apparently. I think I might be hosed here... Time for a new set 'o wheels, maybe?

No codes being thrown, oddly enough. If it was a solenoid problem I'd expect to see the corresponding code like I did on my '93, but other than the PC0741s last week which I cleared, no further indications.

Any ideas, folks?

-Rav

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

"...the Caddy is dedicated to relentlessly -- and comfortably -- converting time into distance." -J.J. Gertler

Most likely all you need is a new set of shift solenoids.

I hope you're right (crosses fingers), that's going to be the first thing I check. I thought they'd fixed the solenoid issues in '96, although with 175K of stop 'n go driving, anything is possible.

-Rav

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

Archived