CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Speed limiter

fast 600

I have a 2002 STS that came factory with M rated ties 130 mph.

I since put on W rated 168 and want to remove limiter.

My friend has the right tools to do it but needs a vin from the same model year car w/Z rated tires.

Does anyone on here have a 2002 STS with factory Z rated tires willing to PM me a vin?

If not I respect your decision, thanks Les.....

My friend has the right tools to do it but needs a vin from the same model year car w/Z rated tires.

Does anyone on here have a 2002 STS with factory Z rated tires willing to PM me a vin?

dude congrats on finding someone whos willing to do this every place almost refuses too and a tech 2 is needed so most simple garages cant do it

if it will help i have an 97 ETC which had Z rated tires

if you want the vin you can have it

2703551_4_full.jpg

The Twins

1997 ETC & 2003 STS

He will need a vin from an '02...

There is a wrecked 02 STS in a yard near where I work... If you can wait a day I'll have it for you tomorrow...

PS, even with the VIN, I don't think this is possible.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

dude congrats on finding someone whos willing to do this every place almost refuses too and a tech 2 is needed so most simple garages cant do it

if it will help i have an 97 ETC which had Z rated tires

if you want the vin you can have it

Thanks for the offer, I also have a 94 sts that came factory with Z rated.

Oynx is right on the vin, it has to be a 02 vin, I also searched ebay, no luck.

HOLY CRAP! Does your "friend" have any idea regarding the legal implications of this "adjustment?"

Does he work for a dealer? Is he willing to put them out of business? Willing to lose all his possessions in a lawsuit?

If I were his boss and caught him doing this, I'd turn him in to the D.A. pronto. ABSOLUTELY NO WAY he would continue to work for me or anyone else I had contact with.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

HOLY CRAP! Does your "friend" have any idea regarding the legal implications of this "adjustment?"

Does he work for a dealer? Is he willing to put them out of business? Willing to lose all his possessions in a lawsuit?

If I were his boss and caught him doing this, I'd turn him in to the D.A. pronto. ABSOLUTELY NO WAY he would continue to work for me or anyone else I had contact with.

Regards,

Warren

all its takes is a piece of paper write up that both sign saying that there is now liability to the performer, just to the person requesting it.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

So I PMed Les the VIN of a very dead 02 STS with the "W" rated sticker on the door... Looks like it was moving at W rated speeds right before it hit something hard...

Based on his PM, our replies are freaking Les out to some degree...

For Les's benefit...

For some reason, the whole speed limiter (and ECM hack) debate is not a pleasant one... There are at least four sides to this...

1) It is illegal, dangerous and the technician will burn in heck for even offering this service...

2) There is no need to do this, because no-one wants to increase the performance of these already plenty powerful ("old man") cars...

3) It is technically impossible since in these cars, more then just about any other car ever built, the VIN and the Internal Key that the PCM generates from it is shared with the radio, the suspension computer, the security system, the ECU, and the BCM...etc etc etc... They will all need to be re-flashed.. And I'm not sure they can be... and my favourite...

4) I know a friend of a friend who has an uncle who can do this.. no names....

I'm firmly in the #3 camp...

Give it a go and let us know if you succeed... You will be the first...

caddy.jpg

Greg

oh i succeeded.

i bought a Z

ahahha

:lol::lol::lol:

Yes! that is the fastest, easiest and cheapest way...

If this matters to you... check the door before you buy!

I knew about this and I did score a W car though I have never had her over 130 MPH and that was plenty fast (I guess a little bit of me is in Camp #2)

I also wanted an F55 Car (magna ride) but 2002 F55s are extra rare... and at the time an 03 was just a little to pricey for me...

The salesman thought it was amazing that before I drove it I first checked the door sticker and second looked at the spare tire cover in the trunk...

He said "This is the first time someone had developed second thoughts about a car after looking at the spare tire cover" :lol:

caddy.jpg

Greg

IMHO, this is something that hurts Cadillac, in a way. All of the STS models should have come with the Z-rated tires and the full speed capability. Maybe i'm too much of a performance enthusiast to be a part of the Caddy camp. But when I read about the "93 STS with the first of the Northstars hitting 150mph, I was thinking "YES!!! Go Cadillac Go!!!" It was something to be proud of; an old American luxury icon like Cadillac finally willing to go toe to toe with Mercedes and BMW.

Now I know that the majority of STSs only have a top end of 130mph. I had my baby out on a deserted road in Nevada and got 129 out of her before the fuel cutout kicked in. Why? Why not let the car go to it's true capability?

If anyone offered a service to remove the speed limitation, I would beat an immediate path to their place of business - as soon as I had the correct tires mounted. To me, for a trained mechanic to offer such a service is just a form of hot-rodding. There are numerous businesses in the San Diego area that can and will make performance modifications to cars that are much more involved than simply removing a speed limiter from your STS. The Import crowd calls it "tuning", the Germans (Alpina, Ruf, Koenig, AMG) have done it for years, and it's as American as Momma, Hot Dogs, and Apple Pie. So long as it is done responsibly i. e. not removing the speed limiter unless the correct tires were mounted, there is nothing wrong with it!

Anyone who is willing to make performance modifications to Cadillac will only serve to strengthen Cadillac's image and credilbility. For proof, see the German tuners I mentioned above.

Mark

When I bought my 1997 ETC, the dealer's service manager told me that they could take off the 130 mph governor but that they would not do that unless it had Z rated tires on it. They also reprogrammed my PCM for performance at about 20,000 miles, something that the aftermarket chip people say you can't do.

I don't think that it is illegal, imoral, or fattening to remove the governor from someone's car, if they have the tires for it. If they take it to the Autobahn, they will find that the going rate is 120 mph, and they will be unable to pass if the governor isn't taken off. My personal opinion is that a mechanic is not a cop, and there is no law limiting the top speed capabilities of cars.

There is one major factor that people need to understand: all performance limits of the car change as the square of the speed. This includes minimum turning radius for a given traction, stopping distance, and maximum arc of the road that can be traversed without the car going airborne. I once saw a dent in the pavement of a dip in the highway near China Lake, CA that was obviously left by a car that had gone airborne on the downgrade and hit the rising grade of the other side of the dip hard enough to embed the front crossmember and stop the car cold. I would bet that its wheelbase went from 110 inches to 20 inches at that time. If you don't learn about when and how to drive at speeds much above 100 mph, everything you know is wrong and it can kill you in an otherwise safe situation. High speed driving schools are thick as jackrabbits in the plains states, and I would recommend one if you ever plan to take your Cadillac (or anything else) much above 100 mph.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

If anyone offered a service to remove the speed limitation, I would beat an immediate path to their place of business - as soon as I had the correct tires mounted. .... So long as it is done responsibly i. e. not removing the speed limiter unless the correct tires were mounted, there is nothing wrong with it!

Couldn't agree with you more Mark...

I would add that IMO this is OK even on lower rated tires.

If you talk to a tire retailer they will tell you that tire ratings have little to do with construction and safety and are mostly to do with liability insurance... I have been over 120 MPH more times then I can count on unrated (good only up to 85 MPH) Goodyear Eagle GTs...

It is hilarious (in a sad sort-of way) that it is easy to remove the speed limiter from POS Honda's and Toyota's that never came with more then 150HP from the factory and yet we can not "enable" a car that was built to go 150...

If I had a buck for every guy who wanted to remove the speed limiter or "chip" these cars I would be driving a STS-V now... :lol:

caddy.jpg

Greg

I keep hearing so much about removing these limiters. Where are you going to drive 150 MPH and why would you want to? The dangers to you and others are phenomenal, the fines (if caught) would be outrageous, and when your insurance company got through with you, you'd probably wish you had never heard of a limiter.

IMHO, this is something that hurts Cadillac, in a way. All of the STS models should have come with the Z-rated tires and the full speed capability. Maybe i'm too much of a performance enthusiast to be a part of the Caddy camp. But when I read about the "93 STS with the first of the Northstars hitting 150mph, I was thinking "YES!!! Go Cadillac Go!!!" It was something to be proud of; an old American luxury icon like Cadillac finally willing to go toe to toe with Mercedes and BMW.

Now I know that the majority of STSs only have a top end of 130mph. I had my baby out on a deserted road in Nevada and got 129 out of her before the fuel cutout kicked in. Why? Why not let the car go to it's true capability?

If anyone offered a service to remove the speed limitation, I would beat an immediate path to their place of business - as soon as I had the correct tires mounted. To me, for a trained mechanic to offer such a service is just a form of hot-rodding. There are numerous businesses in the San Diego area that can and will make performance modifications to cars that are much more involved than simply removing a speed limiter from your STS. The Import crowd calls it "tuning", the Germans (Alpina, Ruf, Koenig, AMG) have done it for years, and it's as American as Momma, Hot Dogs, and Apple Pie. So long as it is done responsibly i. e. not removing the speed limiter unless the correct tires were mounted, there is nothing wrong with it!

Anyone who is willing to make performance modifications to Cadillac will only serve to strengthen Cadillac's image and credilbility. For proof, see the German tuners I mentioned above.

Mark

Actually, all the '93 and possibly the '94 STS cars came standard with Z-rated tires and no speed limiter... There were so many complaints about rough/harsh ride quality with the Z-rated tires that Cadillac made the Z-rated tires an option after that time period.

Thank the trial lawyers for the speed limiters.....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Mark

Actually, all the '93 and possibly the '94 STS cars came standard with Z-rated tires and no speed limiter... There were so many complaints about rough/harsh ride quality with the Z-rated tires that Cadillac made the Z-rated tires an option after that time period.

Thank the trial lawyers for the speed limiters.....

I think we all can agree....that if they offered the option from the factory for z-rated, the dealer should be able to set the speed limiter to the speed limit of your tires.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

technically

the z and w cars HAVE no limiter

they are drag limited due to wind resistance at 148 mph for the etcs

that was proven

so less your at 148 and hit some nos or something your at the limit.

its more of a brag factor

hey mine has no limiter but yours does lol

also some people claim that z cars came with an added tranny cooler, stiffer supension tweaking in the computer and a few more things

idk if its true just something to think about..

2703551_4_full.jpg

The Twins

1997 ETC & 2003 STS

Removing speed limiters on today's vehicles is not new. Hypertech, Superchips etc. are hand held units used on todays pickups and suv's.

Has anyone heard of this outfit?

http://westers_garage.eidnet.org/index2.htm

Lyndon is a great person to deal with, he made me a custom tune for my 01 GMC 6.0.

He makes a tune for the 93-95 and for the 2006 cadillac 4.4 supercharged. http://westers_garage.eidnet.org/scprice.htm

Ever see a 6200 lb. crew cab go 130 mph?

post-3652-1160198069_thumb.jpg

Removing speed limiters on today's vehicles is not new. Hypertech, Superchips etc. are hand held units used on todays pickups and suv's.

Has anyone heard of this outfit?

http://westers_garage.eidnet.org/index2.htm

Lyndon is a great person to deal with, he made me a custom tune for my 01 GMC 6.0.

He makes a tune for the 93-95 and for the 2006 cadillac 4.4 supercharged. http://westers_garage.eidnet.org/scprice.htm

Ever see a 6200 lb. crew cab go 130 mph?

Well on the way back from Ark City one tme back in the days there I was doing 111 in my 1991 Eldorado and some crazy fool in a suburban flew past me like I was not even there. So I would believe it.

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

Well on the way back from Ark City one tme back in the days there I was doing 111 in my 1991 Eldorado and some crazy fool in a suburban flew past me like I was not even there. So I would believe it.

:lol::lol::lol:

My dad used to tell me that anyone who is driving slower they you is a jerk and anyone who is driving faster then you is a crazy (he used a bad word... but it equates to -> fool)

:lol:

This summer we were coming home from our family vacation... And I was "booking" at about 120 MPH on a deserted 4 lane divided highway... (I was in the right lane were we all belong)... and some "crazy" soccer mom passed me in a Chrysler Minivan (I think it was a Pacifica) like I was a stone in a creek...

My wife asked me how fast we were going... The Caddy is SMMOOOTH... I tell her about 190 Km/H...

She laughs... "I didn't know Minivans went that fast"... "Keep your distance... she is crazy"...

Guess what the guys who were going the speed limit of 110 KMH were saying about me...

caddy.jpg

Greg

Archived