CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Do you move to the right lane?

Bill K

Do you move to the right lane for faster traffic?  

204 members have voted

1. 1. Do you move to the right lane for faster traffic?

• Yes - Its the courteous & safe thing to do.
    • No - I drive the speed limit and so should everyone else.
    • Sometimes - If I think the ambulance really needs to get by.
    • This isnt a question as no one drives faster than me.

I don't know what's up with the east coast, but it's my least favorite place to drive. Maybe it's something in the water? Or is it something with the earth-moon-sun alignment???

the Pacific ocean is blue and Atlantic is grey/brain-colored... got it? ;)

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the Pacific ocean is blue and Atlantic is grey/brain-colored... got it? ;)

Only off the Jersey shore line. Come down here and get in the gulf stream and take a dip. Ocean temps in the 80s in the summer time and the water is as clean and clear as anywhere in the United States. I lived in California for many years, and I'll take the 80* gulf stream waters over the 50* Alaska chills any day. ;)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

• 2 weeks later...
Larry Grandolfo Posted on Mar 19 2004, 07:24 PM

One person I will ALWAYS let in is the trucker who blocks those sob's in the right lane. 

10-4 on that.

the Pacific ocean is blue and Atlantic is grey/brain-colored... got it?
I wonder if it is because the continental shelf extends so far of the coast on the east coast has anything to do with it Hmmmmmmm ... Besides, down in the south end of Florida where the continenatal shelf is just off the coast line the Atlantic is pretty darned blue. The same holds for the Pacific Ocean as well. It isn't blue up here in the Northwest, but it sure it's clean.

Jim White

• 2 weeks later...

Howyadoin,

Ah, Massachusetts.... where we do 80 in the breakdown lane! :o Traffic in the mornings is so bad that the breakdown lanes become travel lanes, inbound in the morning and outbound in the afternoon, natch... Since most people, myself included, are a bit skittish about driving in the breakdown lane under any circumstances, traffic flow is usually lighter there than in any other lane. This presents an opportunity for yo-yos with more balls than brains to play dodge'em with the poor saps that are entering and exiting.

As for the other lanes, 75-80 MPH in all lanes with a car-length separation is not uncommon. Of course, you're usually behind some soccer-mom battle cruiser so tall and wide that you have no clue what's going on in front of you. We call that the "bleep factor", 'cause that's what you howl when you see the bumper of a Ford Exemption rise to eye-level as the ninny at the wheel locks up the brakes. The cause being that she just got cut off by a backward-hatted jackass in a riced-out Neon who watched F&F one time too many and thinks it's kewl to leave a trail of destruction in his wake. It kills me, these are never the people that are involved in the accident, they just cause them to happen behind them :angry:

That's all for now. Next time, we'll talk about the thrills 'n spills of rotary intersections, or how to make a Volvo sandwich!! Woohoo!

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

"Refined Sugar" - '96 SLS, 175K

"...the Caddy is dedicated to relentlessly -- and comfortably -- converting time into distance." -J.J. Gertler

I keep to the right unless passing. Just good courteous driving. Having lived in DC area for over 20 years, and before that in Chicago, I know that this rule doesn't apply in rush hour type traffic.

The interstates, like I81, where I am in Virginia, has a lot of truck traffic. It is 2 lanes wide, mostly. It it crowded, but I really believe if the idiots would keep to the right there is nearly enough room to get around.

Comments on the idiots:

4 door Buicks always block the road. Volvos too.

Most of these idiots have their cruise control set at 66, and find it rather inconvenient to move over, with the phone calls and all....

Cruise controls are the biggest cause of left lane hogs. They set it and forget it, just like the rotisserie oven.

Thought: Have you ever noticed the coorlation between IQ and perception of what's around you?

Here's what I mean....whether it's on the highway, in Krogers, walking in a mall, etc....the dumba$$es always have no clue that they are blocking an asile, doorway, etc. whereas more intelligent people seem to be instinctively looking behind, etc., being more aware of their location? You'll see them moving over BEFORE they cause a blockage. Just an observation, for what it's worth.

OK, this really pisses me off!

Normally, if its not a gridlock or bumper to bumper in all lanes situation ....

KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS!!!

I think it's probably in the state drivers manual. I do not care if I am faster (usually) or slower (sometimes) .... I WILL NOT DRIVE THE LEFT LANE except when actively passing... PERIOD!

GET PAST, PULL OVER!!!!!

(my motto is ... do not affect any other vehicle ... go not make them brake, change lanes ... anything ... prefer that they don't even realize they have just been passed).

Obviously, the congestion in many areas precludes this in many situations (usually rush hourish), BUT WHEN NOT, often its just people who are not in the least considerate to others nor are they observant to the situation. Many times I have be behind inconsiderate drivers on 4 lane hiways (ie, 2 per side) driving mile after effing mile right next to a vehicle in the other lane, usually a Volvo SW next to a Winibago. And don't even mention when an 18 wheeler pulls out to pass another 18 wheeler (or god forbid a moron in a car somehow just can't get past that long haul heavy truck on that uphill stretch!!!) ... Also, in the east at least there is a magnitism between cars with in-attentive drivers that just keeps them blocking the path, kind of a sheep mentality!

I think that under-bumper missile launchers are appropriate in some situations ...

OK, a more reasonable approach is the European one where, you effing keep to right (or left in uk) ... and let vehicles traveling faster just go on past .... but that would require observation and the application of intelligence ... which in the US and esp in the great state of ca is discouraged through law after law (a situation better described in this article: ttp://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/168887_julia14.html )

The police should ticket 'left-lane-bandits' .... !!!!! European style!

I always move over even if I am going way over the speed limit as you never know why someone is driving fast. As an example, in 1982 I did 90 mph from New York City to Atlantic City because my dad was dying in the hospital. Two cops that pulled me over even let me go after I told them the story! Mike

Thought: Have you ever noticed the coorlation between IQ and perception of what's around you?

Here's what I mean....whether it's on the highway, in Krogers, walking in a mall, etc....the dumba$$es always have no clue that they are blocking an asile, doorway, etc. whereas more intelligent people seem to be instinctively looking behind, etc., being more aware of their location? You'll see them moving over BEFORE they cause a blockage. Just an observation, for what it's worth.

My wife gets mad at me, as I have to look at a person that did a bone headed move. I tell her I have to see what an AHOLE looks like, and true to form, its usually an AHOLE!! LOL.... Mike

While I agree with your IQ reasoning and while that is a factor, I also think it has to do with common courtesy and being aware of your surroundings. Most people today are too wrapped up in themselves to care....

Had to chuckle at "The Raven's" comments on the "soccer moms in the battle cruisers." As a driver in So. Cal., I know exactly what he is talking about. These women in their 5 ton SUV's generally have no concept of principals such as reaction times, braking distances, or center of gravity. They tailgate you at 80 mph with a cell phone stuck in one ear and a tube of lipstick in the other hand with the rear view mirror angled at their face for make up application. When you read the accident report in the local paper, it always states that she "lost control of her car." I have often wondered how you can lose something you never had.

I usually stay in one of the slower lanes, except to pass, but keep an eye open for the idiots that are still going 20 mph over the speed limit in the fast lane while eyeing the exit ramp coming up in less than a quarter of a mile. If they can pass 20 more cars before cutting off the last 5 and hitting the brakes, their day is made.

On the interstate, I follow the rule, that; "If there's somebody behind you, and nobody in front of you , move over."

It's the right lane passers that really get my goat. A line of cars in pretty much both lanes, and they think they are special enough to pass whomever they can in the right lane. Irks me bad! I've got a lifted 99 Ford SuperDuty. Pass me on the right, get a rear view mirror FULLL of grill!

95 Eldo---Sold!

05 STS4-WooHoo!!!!!

Driving is a participation sport, meaning you must pay attention. I almost always let the faster guy pass then get back in the left lane. I have a fun little nasty trick that I play on the tailgater that can't seem to understand everyone is going the same speed in commute traffic. They get right on your *smurf* at hwy speed and you can't even get over if you wanted to. Here is what ya do, run your windshild washers till they back off, most of the dumb asses hate getting there pretty cars wet, backs most of them right off. Works good for the motorcycles too.

Jeff

I often push the limit, but I am not always the fastest car out there. If the car behind me is courteous, and it helps if it is not an import, I'll get out of the way, if I don't care to match the speed. It also depends on where you are at. In a big city, 15 over is common. In Alabama, 15 over means 85, and you will get busted yesterday!

• 3 weeks later...

Now that I'm older I just will move over and let someone pass in my younger days I would have played around with them slow up or if they tailgated me or I would give the a brake job I would just hit the brakes I was lucky I never did get hit in the a-- doing that stupid stuff. But evey now and then I am tempted to play around with some of these jack a--'s on the road but i don't. I guess you get older and a little smarter along the way. I just hate when some of these jack a--'s cut you off I had this guy who kept cutting me off on the right side 4 or 5 times it was on a 2 lane road he would get into the right lane pass me on the right then just cut cut me offf. The guy had a new Alfa with his family in the car so the next time he pulled his stunt I just didn't back off and sideswiped the guy It was a rental car that I was in so I didn't care about the car. The guy almost cried it was his new Alfa out for a sunday afternoon drive. But I bet he does not cut people off like that too often anymore..Normally I just back off but it just got my goat that he kept cutting me off. My coworker who was with me kept telling me man it's like baseball 3 times he's out don't back off smack that pr--k. Well I gave the guy 5 strikes and put him out on the 6th..It was at fairly low speeds around 30 mph. This was in Italy on a bussiness trip. The next morning the guy was at the gate of the Military base trying to get into the base and file an accident report he could not get into the base So I stopped in at the rental car and told the guy hey you got a customer at the front gate. It was funny but I knew the car rental guy he just took care of the issue..

Cheers

Jim

Another thing which amazes me is that being a trucker doesn't mean anything anymore. Back when I was new driving in the early 60s, the average trucker were more like "knights of the road". They seemed to be less in the way. Yes, I know there are many more trucks now, but...I81 in Virginia has a fair amount of rolling hills. You'd think, after a while, these truckers would understand that, if they pull out to pass with a hill coming up, they will SLOW DOWN. Duhhhh.

No, they move out anyway, because they are going 1 mph more than the vehicle next to them and, by God, they know their rights!!! :) And, when they are stuck in the left lane, don't ever count on the vehicle being passed, in the right lane, slowing down 1/2 mph so they can come back over. Never will happen.

Sorry to vent, but if people would, as earlier mentioned, just move over to the right if someone is behind you, we wouldn't need to build as many extra lanes.

• 4 months later...

I am usually going faster than the rest of the traffic on the highway I hate being passed by someone so if they try i jam on the gas which probibly makes them pretty mad but it's all in good fun.

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

I always move over however, here in Colorado a new law was passed just this year that allows HP to ticket you for driving in the left lane unless passing. My biggest pet peeve is when I'm coming onto the freeway and stupid cars in the right lane won't move to the left to let you merge even though there are no

cars in the left lane that would prevent them from doing so. I don't have that problem anymore now that I have Bernadette (98 deville). When some A hole tries to prevent me from merging by not moving over to the left I just intoduce them to NORTHSTAR and take my lane by WOT baby. Then immediately slow down to the posted speed limit as I watch their face in my rearview mirrow amazed at the POWER the caddy just displayed. My next pet peeve is when I'm on the interstate and cars are trying to merge on doing 35 mph. Give me a break, if the speed limit on the Interstate is 55 mph+ then you should be merging onto it doing that or more instead of causing traffic to break just to let you on. Just

me 2 cents worth.

I always move over however, here in Colorado a new law was passed just this year that allows HP to ticket you for driving in the left lane unless passing. My biggest pet peeve is when I'm coming onto the freeway and stupid cars in the right lane won't move to the left to let you merge even though there are no

cars in the left lane that would prevent them from doing so. I don't have that problem anymore now that I have Bernadette (98 deville). When some A hole tries to prevent me from merging by not moving over to the left I just intoduce them to NORTHSTAR and take my lane by WOT baby. Then immediately slow down to the posted speed limit as I watch their face in my rearview mirrow amazed at the POWER the caddy just displayed. My next pet peeve is when I'm on the interstate and cars are trying to merge on doing 35 mph. Give me a break, if the speed limit on the Interstate is 55 mph+ then you should be merging onto it doing that or more instead of causing traffic to break just to let you on. Just

me 2 cents worth.

While it is courteous for the drivers to move into the left lane, they are not required to do so as they have the right-of-way, not the merging traffic. I always move over for the merging traffic if the left lane is clear though.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I always move over. Always. Someone told me once that they always drive in the left lane and always go the speed limit. I didn't say anything at the time, but it is just unrealistic. By the way, what is all this venom I see on this board about Honda. Still have my Seville, recently bought a Honda Accord. Two different worlds, but both have positive qualities. The Seville, much faster; almost as good on gas; much more comfortable, nice ride. Honda more fun. Nice drive.

I don't know how drivers ed. classes have been taught over the past 10 years, but it seems more and more drivers are jumping into the center or left lanes immediately once onto the Interstate roads. The left lane is being used more for the driving lane instead of the passing lane.

I think an increasing attitude amoung drivers is "me first" and the heck with you. It is showing up in society everywhere.

Hey JimDTS, I only let someone talegate if I need a new rear bumper.....works all the time. ;)

• 1 month later...

Growing up, I had to drive for over an hour to find a four lane highway. Maybe that is why four lane etiquette has been lost in rural Iowa. My HUGEST pet peeve is when you're cruising along at 70 on a two lane highway and come up behind grandma and grandpa (usually in a 74 deville) driving 40mph. You wait forever to pass and finally come to a hill where there is a slow lane, and they dont pull over!! That really ticks me off.

Here's food for thought. In the 1930's some rural counties in iowa didn't have enough money to pave highways- so they only paved one lane. To my knowledge, there is only one of these "half slab highways" left in the state, in rural Lee county- about 2 miles from where i grew up. Supposed ettiquette is that EVERYONE drives on the paved lane going north or south, but when oncoming traffic approaches, the driver who should yield (northbound) pulls off onto the gravel lane. Thats how everyone has driven on it as long as I can remember, and surprisingly I cant recall any accidents. I've always wondered if I'd get a ticket cruising down the paved side going north (the left lane) if I met a cop. I know I'd get a ticket for driving 70... but for being in the wrong lane?

Archived