CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Do you move to the right lane?

Bill K

Do you move to the right lane for faster traffic?  

204 members have voted

1. 1. Do you move to the right lane for faster traffic?

• Yes - Its the courteous & safe thing to do.
    • No - I drive the speed limit and so should everyone else.
    • Sometimes - If I think the ambulance really needs to get by.
    • This isnt a question as no one drives faster than me.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always keep right as much as possible and if I see someone coming up behind me I always get over. Too often I'm cruising along at 80 mph in the left lane and I come up behind people doing barely 5mph above the speed limit and I am forced to pass them on the right. I don't know why people feel the need to sit in the left lane but it is very annoying, and many of these people aren't even persuaded by my 4 tone horn move out of the way. This is a huge fuel waster having to slow down behind someone, and then excellerate back up to speed again. :angry:

ever been on the freeway and you see a sign that says right lane closed 1 mile, so everbody merges, and traffic is almost stopped in the left lane, right lane wide open, and people fly by in the right lane? Then people in the left lane have to stop in the left lane to let those retard back in when the right lane ends. Yes, I will stay in the right lane, next to a car in the left lane to force those goobers to merge. usually a big rig takes care of that job tho. That pisses me off more than about anything I know. anybody else know what i'm talking about?

Yeah, that is when I start straddling the line so the right line has to merge before me. I started doing this when I owned a white 1994 Caprice Classic and it still works with the 94 STS. They actually start merging even further back, I have noticed, if they see a car seemingly "merging" ahead of them.

I hate those cheaters. They really should end the lanes far sooner when they put those signs up.

This is such a huge problem in Michigan - right after the "lane closed, merge" sign are several mobile "DO NOT PASS VIOLATORS WILL BE TICKETED" signs. Right at the point where the lane actually ends, there may be a state trooper. I saw a sting operation in which 15-20 violators wrer pulled over...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I always move out of the way, unless I feel like I should be going a bit faster. But if a guy is closing on me and I don't feel like going any faster than I am, I move over.

The thing I get the maddest about is these idiots who will head down the entrance ramp to the interstate at 40 MPH and not accelerate to join interstate traffic at highway speeds. People that's the reason it's called an acceleration ramp/lane.

But since I have a Northstar under the hood, I just do a quick traffic check and blow past them - AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS!

The thing I get the maddest about is these idiots who will head down the entrance ramp to the interstate at 40 MPH and not accelerate to join interstate traffic at highway speeds. People that's the reason it's called an acceleration ramp/lane.

But since I have a Northstar under the hood, I just do a quick traffic check and blow past them - AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS!

cetheri,

Just to keep you safe....

Don't cross the solid white line while you're passing on the entrance ramp...

you'll get ticket!

When you move over, BEWARE...

all the crap from the highway tends to settle beween the highway lane

and the entrance lane, in the closing triangle... Easy to get a flat tire...

I know, because my better half tends to pick up every freakin' piece of

crap in her tires...

nuff said...

be safe...

I don't know why there aren't more posts here about Southern California drivers. I have lived on the East Coast, both Down South and in the Northeast and there is nothing that compares to So Cal drivers especially around LA. I had a severe case of road rage just last night coming back from LA. I normally travel in the center-right lane (4-lane highway) because for some reason that lane seems to always have the least traffic and it gives me the most room to manuver around idiots who don't belive in mirrors. Anyway I was cruising along going about 90-95 mph and some moron changes two lanes and cuts me off. I slam on the brakes not to hit him and then pass him moving back into my original lane. He puts his brights on as somehow it was my fault that he cut me off and I had to go aroung him. This seems to happen on a daily basis. People will cut me off and then give ME the finger when I pull around and pass them. I have even had to pull into the shoulder with my horn blaring to avoid an accident and the m-fer still didn't realize what he had done. It is easy to see why people get shot in LA traffic. People don't know how to drive and think it is your fault that they never learned. Sorry, but I had to vent.

One last note I have even had someone do the same, cut me off and when I passed him he pulled in front of me and slamed on his brakes when I am driving my truck, an 87 K5 Blazer nicknamed the Beast. I would have put his trunk under my bumper except for fear of involving innocent drivers. The truck has encountered my stupid drivers, including me in my teen years and she always comes out victorious. I really wanted to add another notch on her belt, but reluctantly restrained myself. So if you see a maroon blazer with Florida tags in Southern California don't cut me off.

I can't really comment on the purchase, installation, power supply or control relavant to industrial lasers (neodymium:Yttrium Aluminum Garnet) capable of boring through steel. The moving base and target would pose significant technical problems specific to target acquistion and maintenance (elapsed time on target). Granted, if targeting was solved, then other issues such as heat-sinking/re-heating etc, of differant layers of metal (and other materials such as plastics and biological). Power would be another hurdle, depending on application. The end result would no doubt - be messy (keep in mind - its in front of you at speed). <_<

None the less, even a non-lethal, "laser pointer" flashed across their rear view mirror, either side mirror or dashboard - will generally get their attention (if their eyes are open).

Be careful with the above - some folks might believe its an laser sight on top of a barrel. And they might be armed and ready as you pass by... :blink:

And then there might be some road rage rules or other legal mumbo-jumbo to sort out later on with the law... :unsure:

I hope to not read about this later on...

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

He puts his brights on as somehow it was my fault that he cut me off and I had to go aroung him.

A few years back someone did this to me while I was driving my Bronco. I just reached over and picked up my 2,000,000 candle power spot light and aimed it right back in his/her eyes.

Their attitude changed!

It's illegal as hell but it worked.

Jim

Here in good old Southern Illinois (and the rest of the state too) we now have a law requiring us to drive in the right lane unless passing. They even have a time limit that you can be in the passing lane. Darned if I know how long it is. <_< The trouble with this law is that the right lanes are worn and really rough on a lot of the interstates around here. I-24 has sections that will change the adjustment of your headlights if you are not on the lookout for them, :huh:

My pet peeve is when I notice someone comming up behind me and I move over. Then they seem to disappear for a while. They seem to match speed just as they enter the blind spot just forward of the limit of my left side mirror. They will then sit there until I come up behind a OTR truck or someone in a Civic that is stuck in second gear. ;) Then instead of resuming their original speed, they force me to kick it off of cruise or spend about $.75 of gas & accelerate around the Civic (or OTR truck). When I get in front of them they pull right into the blind spot again and sit there. I used to think that it was a fluke, but on just about any trip over 100 miles I am plagued by at least one of these bozos. I usually drive 5 to 10 MPH over and use the cruise whenever possible. The only reason that I can think of is that they aren't aware that their sled usually has cruise control as standard equipment. They just don't use it. And when their vehicle encounters the "bow wave" ;) comming from my rig, they just don't think that they need to add a little throttle to finish passing. I have watched my RPM and MPH and don't notice any change, but when I pass a OTR truck I can notice a distinct increase of power required to complete the pass.

Another pet peeve is people who come to a complete STOP :angry: in the aceleration lane of a limited access highway. Here I am following one of these dwebes while I'm looking in my left mirrror to gauge when to merge, then when I look back ahead some mental midget has STOPPED :blink: TO LET THE GUY THAT I WAS GOING TO MERGE IN FRONT OF BY!! :ph34r: Well, now I know that the anti skid really works! :o ( I guess that is one of the benefits of living in SOUTHERN Illinois. :P

One other thing happend to me on Saturday night (12-11-04) driving south on I-57. I was set up in cruise at about 74 MPH. Then this Ford Explorer passes me. Then a few miles later (my cruise is still at 74 MPH) I pass him. We did this yoyo thing SEVEN times. A couple of times when he passed me he was going 80+MPH. WHAT GIVES with these people? :blink: Some of the times he went completely out of sight. Twice he slowed down in the gofast lane and caused me to get off the cruise. For what reason did he do this? God only knows.

I don't drive aggressively, and I try to keep a steady pace. I try to move with the flow and always try not to be the fastest one out there. That way someone else can collect the Good Citizens Awards that the troopers hand out. But I can see where some of the road rage comes from. :(

Be alert, Tolerant and Safe

Britt

Britt

Navion;

There are some real lemons behind the wheel out there. Iusuayy drive 75-76 in a 70 mph zone. Last week I was coming into Olympia from the south and here are the "Less" brothers (Worth (left lane), Use (center lane) and Clue (right lane)) driving 63 in a 70 mph zone. We go about a mile of this when the speed limit drops to 60 mph. There is finally a clearing to safely (not cut off "Clue") to pass "Use and Worth" in the far right lane. What do these two S%!t birds do, they speed up. Finally a quick burst of energy from my STS put that to rest, but the one in the centerlane laid about 2 car lengths off my quater panel foe about another mile until he resumed his normal speed.

Like you I don't go out of my way to bother other people. If those that want to ride for ever in the left lane ... so be it because if they don't move over I'll just go around them. I drive some 200 miles twice a week and I relly don't care to mess with or be mess with.

Jim

Britt: What color is your car? The reason I ask is that mine is crimson pearl. The @$$hole hangin' out in the blind spot has always been a problem, but it hasn't been a plauge. Ever since my crimson peral, from day one, everybody AND I MEAN EVERYBODY hangs out in my blind spot. It doesn't matter if I'm using cruise or not.

This is not my imigination because I have been driving since 1974, and I'm well versed with knowing average driving habits of other drives and mine. Before the crimsom pearl, I could let off the gas slightly, and most of the cars would pass. (You always have the @$$hole that does likewise. The point is that most quarter panelers would pass.) Also, speeding up silghtely would shake some. Usually, it would cause an increase in speed by a/h, so backing off slightly was the cure.

With the crimson pearl car, however, they stay in the blind spot. I can decrease my speed 20 mph, and they still stay there. There are only 2 cars on the road, mine and a/h's, and the speed limit is 55. I run @ 62 on cruise, and they park beside me. I have had cases where I have slowed down to 23mph and a/h stays parked. Never, in all my driving years, have I had a/h stayed parked beside me when I back off 5 to 7 mph, let alone an occasional a/h who would consider parking beside me at 23 mph.

One time I had my buddy with me on a road trip to Outar Banks NC. He's a heavy equipment salesman, and he dives 90 to 130k a year. As we drove along and I would back down, he'd aske if everying was ok, and I tell him about a/h. He said he knew what I was talking about, and it irritated the d/s out of him too. As we drove alonge, he was amazed because he saw my car was a virtual magnet. Not just one or 2 cars, but all cars, trucks, tractor trailers, motorcycles always parked beside me.

About half way down to NC he said it was amazing and he had never seen anything like it in his life. He suspected that it was the car's color or the way in which the light reflects off the wheels that causes it.

“mine is crimson pearl.”

That's a cool color. When I was looking, that is the color I really wanted but I wanted the sports package more. So I ended up with a real dark gray that I believe was available for 2001 only.

Black was my second choice followed by a (oyster/pearl white) which I found a 2000 with the sports package but then I found this 2001 for the same price so I took it.

I say one 2000 dark blue (don't see many of them) with the z package but I couldn't negotiate with them.

Ahhh... but those red ones ...

Jim

an01sts,

My 94 SLS is black black and my 96 GMC Suburban is forest green. It dosen't seem to make any difference which one I drive, there is always some dwebe out there that hasen't a clue on how their driving affect others. I like you have had some fool get in the blind spot and match speeds from 90 to 20 and stay in the same spot! :angry: What can they be thinking? One time I had a guy matching my every move like that & when I got the chance I slammed on the brakes & he shot by me. I felt better having him where I could see him. <_<

I don't recommend this, but several years ago I was traveling to to Chicago, a black Mustang with extra dark tinted windows passed me. He was going about 90 & I was going about 75. He got about three car lengths in front of me and slammed on the brakes them matched speed with me. Not in the blind spot, but right NEXT to me. With his tinted windows, I couldn't see into his car, but he could see into mine. He then backed off to about two car lengths behind me and stayed there for a couple of miles. This was all that I could stand! What was he trying to do. I figured that he was going to try something like run me off the road. ( By the way, it was about 1:30 AM & he & I were the only ones in sight.) As he started comming up slow on my left again, I uncased my Beretta 92FS and slid a clip into it. I had the slide back. When he got next to me he stayed there where he could look directly at me. After he had sat ther for 15 or twenty seconds I held the Beretta up where he could see it and released the slide. I never pointed the gun anywhere but up. His reaction was to lock all four wheels and slid to a stop. He then crossed the median and headed south. I then unloaded & recased the Beretta. I don't know what he was up to. And by then I didn't care. I had my family with me and I wasn't taking any chances. If it happened today, I would call 911 on the cell & get some law out there.

As I said at the beginning, I don't recommend that course of action. But sometimes you have to act before something really bad does happen. I suppose that I was violating several laws, but I would rather explain what I did in court than end up in the ditch with some crazed bastard demanding my daughters and my money! :angry: At that point in time, it would be to late to call 911! :(

Britt

As I said at the beginning, I don't recommend that course of action. But sometimes you have to act before something really bad does happen. I suppose that I was violating several laws, but I would rather explain what I did in court than end up in the ditch with some crazed bastard demanding my daughters and my money!  At that point in time, it would be to late to call 911!

I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Besides, calling 911 doesn't offer any gurantees that that anyone will respond because the courts have contiously ruled they are not required too.

Jim

• 2 years later...

I generally try to keep right except to pass, in the morning/evening rush hour everyone just kinda puts along in a grid and theres always an idiot who fly around every lane and causes and accident which slows us all down :P

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

i do it in hopes others will do it for me. you only get what you give.

I'm the same way.

However some folks just want to ride out there and create congestion that would make Elvis's funeral presession seem like a small scale. Then ....when someone goes to pass them they speed up just to keep you behind them. Idiots ....

I must admit, this si where I would rather drive in the U.S.A., instead of Canada. (Except Illinois)

I find that the drivers in Canada are a lot more ignorant to this rule.

The best is watching the unmarked polce cars pulling over the ignorant A$$es that will not move over, and impeed traffic.

Yes this is a sore spot with me.

That is my two cents!

Big Jay

Life is too short to grow up!

Off topic, but I have a cousin who is OPP :) Haven't been on the QEW enough to see if droping his name works :P

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

I stay in the right lane as much as possible. It's courteous - I don't pay attention to what's going on behind me 100% of the time.

Having said that, I'm going faster than 97% of all other traffic and as a result, I'm passing others most of the time. I pass to the left and then dive back into the right lane as soon as possible.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

Archived