CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Do you move to the right lane?

Bill K

Do you move to the right lane for faster traffic?  

204 members have voted

1. 1. Do you move to the right lane for faster traffic?

• Yes - Its the courteous & safe thing to do.
    • No - I drive the speed limit and so should everyone else.
    • Sometimes - If I think the ambulance really needs to get by.
    • This isnt a question as no one drives faster than me.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always try to move out of the way, unless its some Honda on my ars that wants to race: I WOT it and then go exactly the speed as the car in the left lane.., setting up a rolling road block on the Honda :)

-Eric

Eric

93 Cad Seville 100K

95 Chev Blazer 143K [garaged summers] :)

I always move over for anyone coming up from behind, this is just common courtesy. However, in a typical 160-mile trip, this also means that I might move from the left lane about 1 or 2 times for a few moments.

I love to have a sponsor or pace car well in front. For example, I stay at least 15-20-seconds behind the pace car if mile markers are going past every 40-45-seconds. If the sponsor is from Texas (sorry Bruce), there is no way they will let you around them! Motored past a number of those violators chit-chatting with the Officer. In fact, the oncoming HP usually locks on them, but turns in front of me on the flip-flop on the way to nail them.

The mirror is cheap insurance. There is usually no problem with any HP cruiser coming up from behind at speed - and only trolling for speeders.

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

After getting back from a 3,000 mile road trip I wonder if its just me or do you others see a lot of people that just dont move for faster traffic?

Well, if everyone in the left lane is pacing along at 70 mph and you have a few folks who want to do 90 mph, should EVERYONE in the left lane move out of their way, given the fact that the speed limit is 55 mph. We're talking rush hour or near rush hour traffic.

I'm not talking one car in the left lane, I'm talking HUNDREDS of them in the left lane, all moving at 70 mph. Should they ALL move for a few 90 mph drivers?

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

it really depends on WHERE in the country you're talking about...in the northeast...15-20 seconds between cars would mean you would never reach your destination! i try to put a safety zone around me whatever lane that is. the cars that decide to clip along at a faster than the pack speed should understand that in some cases, THEY will have to maneuver around traffic to maintain their faster speed. jackg 90 seville 93k

it really depends on WHERE in the country you're talking about...in the northeast...15-20 seconds between cars would mean you would never reach your destination! i try to put a safety zone around me whatever lane that is. the cars that decide to clip along at a faster than the pack speed should understand that in some cases, THEY will have to maneuver around traffic to maintain their faster speed. jackg 90 seville 93k

New Jersey has the highest concentration of cars in the US, and it also has the highest ratio of cars to people: cars outnumbering people almost 2 to 1.

If you've ever been on the Garden State Parkway during rush hour and you're not used to how the traffic moves, you would definately freak out.

GSP during rush hour is described as "landbound version of the Blue Thunderbirds". Everyone is moving at about 70 mph and everyone is almost tailgating the car in front of them. That's why accidents are so nasty in New Jersey, one wrong move and easily 15 or more cars could be involved.

People who are "slow drivers" (those who travel at the speed limit) usually have enough knowledge of the situation to know that they should stay to the right. Every so often, you do get a few clowns who want to drive faster than everyone else and BREAK THE PACE, but the cops usually get those lane hopping clowns pretty quick. Most accidents are caused by people changing lanes time and time again.

The "two-second rule" should be followed whenever possible however, during rush hour here in New Jersey, it seems to narrow down to one second.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

In Michigan, it depends on where in the state your driving.

Daily commuting into the city on any of the major freeways is strictly a free-for-all. Rush hour is a bumper to bumper crawl so one only needs to watch for the no-signal lane changers and phone users who aren't paying attention to anything. Early commuters often find it's possible to cruise 15 to 20+ MPH over the posted speed limit with the left lane wide open the entire way. Drivers going faster than that will pass on the right before you realize their coming up on you. Anyone tailgating when traffic doesn't allow moving over gets treated to the intentional slow-down and reinforced with a quick tap on the brakes if they don't seem to be getting the hint. Once they do get past you on the right, then move over right behind them. The most aggressive drivers are to be avoided at all costs because they are usually unregistered, unliscensed and not insured. They just picked their vehicle up last night and if they wreck it, they just go get another one tonight. They will drive 90MPH in the right lane oblivious to merging/exiting vehicles. make multi-lane changes with no signal and can't see out of their mirrors because they have the seat back reclined half way to horizontal.

Commuting to vacation retreats in northern Michigan is another story. Behavior within the city remains pretty much as described above, but once the area becomes more rural people seem to mellow out somewhat. When the freeway becomes only two lanes, it seems to be understood that it is in the best interest of all commuters to have some manners. Everyones goal is the same, get to the cabin in one piece as quickly and safely as possible. There is always one or two idiots for whom Darwins theory has not yet come to pass, but for them it's only a matter of time. Most of us weekend commuters have no problem moving over to let the cop bait go by even when we're already doing 8 - 10 over the limit.

The beauty of owning a fast car such as my Seville sometimes lies in the ability to move around some slower cars in order to give the guy...coming up fast from behind, a safe lane to pass. In other words, I'm usually a little faster than traffic, I like and ever changing pattern, but usually only 1 or 2 mph faster. But there is always somebody that likes to run 10 - 15 mph faster, you catch them in your mirrors approaching fast. With the Caddy, I just lean on it a little, match the approaching cars speed until I get a clear lane to the right, fall in line, back down to where the cruise is set, and watch him go by. He's happy 'cause he passed a Caddy, and I and everyone else is safe. A win - win if you ask me.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

The beauty of owning a fast car such as my Seville sometimes lies in the ability to move around some slower cars in order to give the guy...coming up fast from behind, a safe lane to pass.

Ya. I really enjoy the power of the Cadillac during merge situations too. If we come down and on-ramp to an Interstate full of traffic, and there are a couple of big rigs in the first lane with no room to get over, just ease on the gas and before you know it, you're doing 80 and you're safely in front of them...no one had to get over into another lane, and everyone kept their speed (except me!).

Drawbacks to that is folks sometimes don't expect your Cadillac to be so powerful. I had one instance where I was merging on I-40 in a cloverleaf, my merge lane turned into an exit lane just on the otherside of the underpass. This little Maxima was in the far left lane and I guess he thought he was going to slide over three lanes of traffic, cut me off, and ease off at that very exit. He obviously didn't expect me to actually get on the gas and merge with traffic I guess because he had to get in BEHIND me and boy did that piss him off. It's the "me-first" rule around here. If you can get around just ONE MORE CAR, you're far better off for some reason. :rolleyes:

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

With the road rage that some people have in the world today, moving over is the safest thing to do. Besides, right is fast lane, left is slow lane.

Got your driver license in England?? ;):lol::P

ever been on the freeway and you see a sign that says right lane closed 1 mile, so everbody merges, and traffic is almost stopped in the left lane, right lane wide open, and people fly by in the right lane? Then people in the left lane have to stop in the left lane to let those retard back in when the right lane ends. Yes, I will stay in the right lane, next to a car in the left lane to force those goobers to merge. usually a big rig takes care of that job tho. That pisses me off more than about anything I know. anybody else know what i'm talking about?

ever been on the freeway and you see a sign that says right lane closed 1 mile, so everbody merges, and traffic is almost stopped in the left lane, right lane wide open, and people fly by in the right lane? Then people in the left lane have to stop in the left lane to let those retard back in when the right lane ends. That pisses me off more than about anything I know. anybody else know what i'm talking about?

I really get miffed at the times when everyone knows a particular lane ends, and folks will get out in that lane to pass one car or something that really isn't going any slower than they are. Then the traffic backs up from all the idiots who are trying to zoom ahead that we all have to slow down. I never really get "road rage", but that's about the only thing that will give me something close to it. That's also usually the only time I'll "race" someone. Around here, we have a few roads that are 4-lanes, and then merge into 2-lanes about 1/8 mile after a traffic signal. Whenever I'm sitting there in the front at the red light, in the lane that continues through, I'm always peeking in my mirror to see that Honda boy who darts over into the right lane to get around me when the light turns green....just to get around one car (which he never gets around anyway). ;)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

lacseville, I know exactly what you are talking about, and it's really irritating for those of us that move into the "correct" lane (the one that is not closed). However, I can never decide who is the dummy, those of us patiently waiting or the "opportunists" who make it as far as possible before giving any thought to decency or courtesy. Let's face it, people who are considerate enough to move into the correct lane to begin with will probably also be considerate enough to let the SOB in when we have to. All the while thinking "You Dumb***". Who's really the dumb***?

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I drove through NJ once. First and lasty time. Such a nightmare I decided it is much easier to drive around the stata completely. No offense Marika just works out better for us.

I don't live in New Jersey by choice. I'm sort of stuck here, for now anyway.

I know what you mean about NJ drivers being crazy. They are crazy and very aggressive.

Just today, I went to Hackensack to buy something. I parked, put the money in the meter and went inside the store. When I came out, a woman in a massive SUV was double parked right next to my car and therefore, I could not get out of my space. I got in my car and looked at her. She rolled down her passenger side window and **yelled** at me that she wanted the space!! I responded by saiding, "if you move back so I can get out, you can then get into this space". Stupid b*tch rolled her eyes at me, put the car in reverse **without looking behind her**, and hit the car behind her, who was also double parked and waiting for a space!! I just pulled out of the space and drove away.

People are in a massive hurry here in NJ, and I'm not sure why. I can tell you there are too many cars on the roads here in NJ and the state has no plans to improve mass transit so it will only get worse in the future.

People in Northern Virginia are the same way. They are always in a hurry, and they drive like they have something stuck up their rear ends. They must really love their jobs, thats probably why they are in such a hurry. I am not really so concerned when I arrive to where I am going. As long as I arrive on time its ok with me. If I'm a little late, I just make sure I have a good excuse. In fact I try to be at work as little as possible. That's also why I don't have a cell phone, so people at work can't call me. I am always having to tell people to chill out and relax, especially the young ones that don't really know how stuff works yet. What's happening to America today? It's all about work and being in a hurry. We are becoming a country of inconsiderate, anal retentive a-holes. I guess it all about taking care of #1

I've noticed a strange trend in my travels abroad - it seems east coast drivers seem to be in more of a hurry than any where else. In CA, there are just too many people for one area, and I really didn't notice them "in a hurry" other than they will drive where ever they can put their vehicle (shoulders included). As a Denver native, midwesterners seem to go with the flow and will "get there when they get there." Texas on the other hand, they have two speeds, fast and faster. But they actually seemed to drive decently. Rush hour at 70 mph is rather refreshing.

Out here on the east coast, Maryland, Virginia, and South Carolina to name a few, not only do they only have two speeds, but it's a "me first" mentality, "I'm more important than you" attitude. Down on the Gulf Coast, it seems as if they think, "maybe I'll get there, eventually...."

I don't know what's up with the east coast, but it's my least favorite place to drive. Maybe it's something in the water? Or is it something with the earth-moon-sun alignment???

As a seasoned NY City driver, the first thing I do is move to the left lane and pretty much don't pay attention to any other lanes except the one I'm in.

I do keep an eye out for five-o.

ByStorm

This is one of my major pet peves.....the left lane is also reffered to as the "passing lane" or "fast lane", and unfortuantly most hp officers do not enforce the laws related to if you are overtaking another vehicle get you ars over....

sorry, but traffic weaving is generally where speeding gets dangerious and accidents occur, and the fastest way to get someone to start weaving is to be going slow in the fast lane; both of which are relitave terms.

Incidently, the other day I watched a guy lose it while trying to pass on the shoulder due to the rolling road block idea (it was a civic, too)...is it really worth knowing that if your plate was taken for that you could find yourself trying to dodge a liability issue (not that it would stick, but think of the headache)

t

If you live in Ohio, i do not recommend going to the los angeles area in california on a weekend it is going to be packed. It was a great trip i had, but one of the worst driving experiences i think and i hope i will ever have gone through.

Depnds on my mood - if I want to run hard then no one passes me. Usually though I set about 80 and move over if someone faster comes along.

Then I match their speed and set back about 3/4 of a mile. Let them get the ticket -

Archived